Chapter Four: Discovery

While Radley was gone, Reginald spent time with Vivian explaining his relationship with Lord Nathan Caldwell. It wasn't enough to tell her the man had saved his life during the war. She wanted to know the details. She also asked to read about this war. He promised to show her his collection of newspapers and books he had on the topic. Then he began to explain what happened.

"There were a thousand men on the field facing each other. We marched towards one another, muskets were fired, men were shot, and then we ran into battle with swords swinging. Some men used bayonets. Hundreds of men died quickly.

Amidst the battle, my leg was sliced and I went down. Lord Caldwell and I were Lieutenants in charge of these fighting men. He witnessed my fall..."

Vivian interrupted. "I wish to see the scar. You have never told me of this either, Father."

"I wouldn't have told you now if not for the necessity of it. Those who have fought in a war do not relish speaking of it. Nevertheless, I will show you the scar after I complete telling you how I owe my life to Nathan Caldwell.

"Because I was bleeding heavily, Lieutenant Caldwell bandaged my leg. But with the fighting all around us, he dragged me towards other bodies and draped them across me in order to hide me. The French were stabbing their swords into the wounded to kill them.

"Once he did this, he returned to the fight. When the battle ended, Lord Caldwell found a horse and he rode with me to our headquarters, which were tents. The doctor bandaged my leg and Nathan's arm. Before long, we were sent back to London."

At hearing such a tale, she stood to pace the room. However, she also saw the action as heroic. "I understand why you admire him. Why haven't you gone back to Kensingdale to see him? You only went once. You should have taken me to see Bennett."

He paused at the reprimand. "I feared the contract would be mentioned and I did not want anyone to know until you were older. You did not have your mother to go to and I was not sure how to answer the questions you would have."

"I doubt such news would have affected me, Father. Why did you choose Bennett for me?"

"I knew Lord Caldwell would raise him to be an honorable man and give him a good education. Nor would he be a selfish man. From what I have learned, he did well in school. Radley assures me my expectations of him were accurate. I also wished for you to marry a man with a title and an estate. He not only has that, he cares for his people and is successful as well."

"I could have told you the kind of man he would be when I was twelve. I am not unhappy with your choice. I have a fondness for Benny... uh, Bennett." She moved to look out the window. "Radley has been gone for some time. The wait should not be much longer. I have time to read about this war."

"I will collect the papers." He moved to leave and told her, "I am glad you have a fondness of Bennett. He is an intelligent man and should please you in that regard."

"Father, I do not expect a knowledgeable man. I know my intelligence exceeds others. I want a man who will be as kind and patient as you and my brothers. Radley will learn if he is. Then I will spend time with him. Meet me in the library. I wish to find what books we have on this topic. You may show me your scar later." She left the room and knew she had been polite by giving her father the reason for her departure.

* * *

Radley arrived home and found his sister sitting by the window watching for him. With the stables in back of the house, he whistled for the stable boy, who came running to take his horse.

The front door swung open and Vivian hurried out to the porch. "You were gone for a long time."

"An hour would have been long to you, my dear." He removed his gloves as they walked into the house. "Ben introduced me to his brother Owen and his two sisters, Charlotte and Ruth. It is Ruth who is a year younger than you. Charlotte is older. By how many years, I am unsure. They are a most pleasant family. You are very fortunate," he said as he walked into his study with her right at his heels.