Chapter Two: Discovery

Radley arrived at Whites and began moving about the room questioning others concerning Bennett Caldwell, the Earl of Kendal. His reputation was that of a serious man, considerate, but private. He was seldom known to attend parties or balls, he didn't drink, or gamble. He was also well respected.

From there, Radley rode to Ben's residence, which was an expansive home of red brick with more than two stories. With a family of six children, Radley knew it would need to be large, though it was not extravagant by any means.

As he tied his horse to the mounting post, he wondered about Nathan's youngest daughter who was a year younger than Vivian. However, with his sister's intelligence, that did not make them the same age. She had the maturity of a grown woman along with an intense sense of understanding.

With determination in his stride, he walked to the front door and used the tarnished brass knocker. As he waited for someone to answer, he pulled his calling card from his pocket. The door slowly opened and instead of a butler, a young lady stood there.

Behind her, heavy footsteps approached and a voice called out, "Ruth, we have a butler for that."

"He went to the convenience," she said turning her head towards the one who approached.

A rather tall, dark-headed man, a few years younger than Radley, stepped behind Ruth and put his hand on top of her dark curls. She in turn wrapped her arm around his waist. Radley saw the affection and found relief. He instantly smiled. Radley saw the man look at him with surprise.

"Lord Brighton, this is a surprise. Please, come in." Owen stood back and swung the door wide. "We have not formally met. I am Owen, Bennett's brother and this is Ruth." They each bowed in greeting and Ruth curtsied with a bend of her knee.

Radley handed him his card regardless of being known. "I had hoped to speak with Bennett in regards to my little sister, Vivian."

"Of course. Bennett is in his office. He has taken over the estates." Owen held the card out to Ruth. "Would you take this card and give it to Ben? Tell him that Lord Radley Brighton is here to speak with him concerning his sister?"

She took the card, turned, and hurried down the hall. She stopped before a closed door, knocked, and waited before stepping inside.

"I'm pleased to finally meet you. Father and Bennett speak highly of your family. Please, follow me and we can wait in the parlor for him," Owen suggested.

"Thank you." He followed Owen into the room across the hall that clearly showed multiple women lived in the house. Vivian had never turned an interest in fashion. Here, there were doilies and porcelain figurines.

"Please, take a seat. Shall I ring for tea?"

"Don't bother; I will not take up much of your time. You are the age of my brother, Michael. Have you met? You attended Cambridge, did you not?"

"No. Bennett did. I was sent to Oxford. It took less time to reach London if I was needed here. Father has not been well and the country air at Kensingdale was better for his health. Most of the family went with him. Bennett chose Cambridge because of the vicinity. This enabled him to travel back and forth for the family. I was fortunate to only be called to London twice."

"I was sorry to hear of your father's consumption. I was not told until recently, though I know Father went to Kensington to visit him. I hope he is faring better?"

"Yes, thank you."

"I regret we have never met before now. I only learned this morning of the contractual agreement between Bennett and my sister."