20- All I ever wanted

I gawk at him as he sits there, his eyes meeting mine, holding my eyes for some seconds before he speaks again.

"I'm being an asshole. I know".

I chuckle "Yes you are".

He smirks "I deserve an honest answer but hey" he relaxes into the chair "let's talk".

I grin widly " I don't even know what to say".

He stays quiet for a little while then a saddened expression washes over his face, his brows creasing with hurt. Lots of it and I feel scared for what comes next.

"They can't find matching lungs, ones that can support him well".

Oh God! His Dad!

I sit silently, my heart heavy and my eyes a bit teary. He must be really burdened to have come to me with it. It's so hard to see him slumped in the chair like that, looking like a sorry case. I don't even know what to say or do. Do I stay here or scoot closer to him? How do I react?

"Alex" I whisper "I'm so sorry".

He's quiet just staring into space. His life probably feels like it's tumbling down his feet.

It feels like the right thing to do at the moment so I tap the space beside me "Come sit?".

He shakes his head " It's okay".

So I swing my legs off the bed and walk over to him, holding out my hands "Come on".

He watches me with something that looks like amusement "Do you think you can lift me?".

I chuckle "I know I can't. Please assit me".

He takes my hand as he stands and lets me lead him to the bed. I sit and he does too and then I let go of his hand. Reluctantly.

"How long since he's been in the hospital?" I ask watching him softly.

With a heavy breath he answers "Been two months now. At first it was one lung, not a major problem, then the other got infected".

I swallow hard. I'd be crying everytime I can if it was mum.

"God" I breathe out "it's awful".

He groans and lies down with his back on the bed. He shuts his eyes and I see his face scrunch up with agony, so much hurt right now. I doubt I'm any help.

I start to fidget. What if he gets irritated and leaves. Good God Keila just chill out and do what you can do best.

I heard talking about the person could help bring better memories.

"You must be close to him" I voice out quietly.

Will he get mad? Or walk out? What if talking about his Dad worsens everything.

He chuckles his eyes flinging open "Tight. Working in the office brought us close, closer than the others. We grew much more closer after my mum passed away".

Ah yes. His brothers. Colt Hunter and Damien Hunter. I also completely forgot about his mum. She died when he was sixteen.

" Did you always want to work in the office? Or did your Dad make you do it?".

He glances at me before staring off "Yes and kind of. My Dad um, he made all his sons work in the office after my mother's death. It was for a whole year. Once in the office, he drops the father and son title and uses high discipline to handle us. We were like others, except we could not get sacked for that year and he handled anyone that tried to do shit to us".

I squint " How would anyone try anything with you guys?".

He smirks "I know right? But some people hated us for being bloody rich kids and felt it was their chance to act out. I got back at a lot of them after work each day".

I giggle.

"It was then I realised how much I love the whole thing about working in the firm, having mine, running it. After a year Dad kept me and let Colt and Damien go. They most definitely didn't find it interesting" he gazes at me "he taught me all I needed to know and it's scary to think I'll loose him".

I nod repeatedly. Loosing your only amazing parent could scar you for life.

"I understand" I say softly.

"You do?" He asks, his grey eyes searching mine.

"Well, I only have my mum. My Dad died when I was a kid and she's been all I have, she's been a strong pillar for my sister and I. So I can understand if you're scared".

He frowns in surprise "Wait really? I had no idea".

"How could you?" I smile and I turn to lie down beside him "I just know that things will be better, one way or another" I wet my lips before saying what I want to say next "As hard as it is, if he's going then, have amazing memories with him, you don't need to let him see or know or perceive that you're crushed" I look to my side at him "Go to the hospital, tell him about work, tell him how awesome it's going, remind him that all that happened because he was an amazing parent. Laugh, spend lots of time with him. Who knows, the lungs might appear when you feel it's a lost cause".

He turns his head and stares at me for as long as it lasts. This close to his face, this close to his eyes, it stirs something in me. If he's not frowning at me then maybe I didn't do badly.

"It's so hard Keila" he says slowly.

I nod "That's what makes him a special Dad".

Something flickers in his eyes as he lowers them and seem to zone out. It looked like realization or acceptance or both, either way it wasn't a bad thing.

"Thanks Keila. I should start that by Monday" he adjusts, looking back up at the celing "talking to you....." He pauses, weighing his words "relived me, alot".

I smile beside him " What took you so long?".

He chuckles "Work".

As he says that my smile vanishes. This is the part where he goes back to his study and stays there till God knows when.

" You know" he smirks "I don't mind just staying here,  I'm tired of the study anyway. My back aches".

He doesn't look at me but I know he sees me smile and I lie like that, sucking in his handsome profile. It's all I ever wanted anyway.

                                           &