XXXV:SEÑORITA AND HER KNIGHT

ROWAN

There were always men walking around the house. It was unusual for this late afternoon that they were nowhere to be seen. I hoped they weren't slacking because the Pruitte family had an emergency in their company. Otherwise, I just thought that their number was reduced to one-eighth, to the point I barely notice them.

The atmosphere was so venomous that gave me an ominous feeling. I tried to be calm as I exited from the kitchen. I breathed in the scent of my baked cookies for Kadi.

It was almost time for his therapist to finish checking him when I headed up the familiar luxurious wooden staircase. But I had been waiting for a half-hour in the living room on the second floor.

I was supposed to ask a favor to his therapist to give him the cookies, yet they took rather so long that it bothered me. To be honest, I had been paranoid about our situation to the point Kadi tried to appease my mind every time we could talk.

This kind of situation was what I was afraid of. The disappearance of the guards and the doubtful time the therapist had been staying in the Kadi's room.

Another thing was, Thor was supposed to be with them. But he had a sudden emergency to take care of. There was something wrong with the sequence of coincidence. I was thankful that Rosseitte had been bugging brother Mika-el to bring her with him to his office, I hope she's doing fine there.

First of all, I had to satisfy my intuition that had been screaming inside of my head.

My hands sweated as I hold the knob of the wooden door. I slowly twist my hands together, but the door was locked. A cold chill spread all through my body.

I gasped, taking a step back.

We don't lock the door! The second door of the living room through Kadi's room wasn't allowed to be locked since he may be asked for assistance at any time. Shit!

My hands hurriedly pulled out my phone from my pocket and started to send a message to his cousins. I froze up on my feet when there was someone behind me. I immediately sent the message.

A hand grasped my arm, forcing me to haul me back. I glanced up at the person behind me with trembling knees—almost about to give in.

A second, I paused because of shock. I immediately slumped to the floor when I recovered my mind. My body was still shaking because of fear. Crimson almost killed me from a heart attack.

"Meg," I said, trying to calm my breath.

He leaned lower. "Can you stand?" he whispered.

I was about to rant out my anger that I'd held inside, but he pressed a hand on my mouth. I frowned. "What?" I hissed in a low voice when he took off his hand.

"She's here," he said, slowly straightening himself. He looked around for a minute and softly laugh all by himself. I helped myself to get back on my feet.

I gave him a sharp look. "What do you mean?"

I raised an eyebrow when he easily opened the locked door without breaking a sweat. "The witch, in your mind." He strode on his feet as silently as he can.

It left my mouth agape. "Shit, what—I mean, where?" My eyes followed his thumbs that jerking to Kadi's room. It shook my mind and made my body go tremble once more. I pressed a hand on my chest that had started to hurt because of the tension. "Don't tell me you planned this?"

He grinned. "You think so? I'm not this careless though."

I paused and started to analyze things. "Then?" I asked worriedly.