Chapter 8

I want you to want me
Why don't we rely on chemistry?
Why don't we collide the spaces that divide us?
I want you to want me

It is a regular Wednesday night in the Fred and Harry apartment as we are entering our final round, and second hour, of our very intense card game

It is a regular Wednesday night in the Fred and Harry apartment as we are entering our final round, and second hour, of our very intense card game. We are sitting across from eachother at the kitchen table, a bowl of popcorn off to the side for us to share, and the small kitchen television playing a football game rerun in the background.

I watch Gramps take his turn as he keeps a smug look on his face. He definitely doesn't have a good poker face, and he knows I'm competitive. So I think he just plays up the whole 'bad poker face' act up even more to piss me off, especially when he is winning, like right now.

After he ends his turn, I pick up two new cards from the pile and look through all of the cards I now have in my hand.

I try to hide my satisfaction from the cards I just picked up. This might just win the game for me, especially since Gramps still has a decent amount of cards in his hand, which will lose him points.

I make my next few moves mentally and smile to myself once I realize that I can both pull ahead, and shock the living hell out of Gramps, with this turn.

I lay down the ace and two kings on their respective stacks I have on the table as i watch Gramps' smug look start to falter. I then put two of the jacks that are in my hand, on the stack of four jacks I already have on the table in front of me.

"Looks like you're one jack-off, big guy." My grandfather says with a grin, leaning back in his chair, and crossing his arms over his chest.

"Oh really?" I say with a smirk as I lay one more jack on the stack to make a stack of seven, ending the round, before I throw the queen I have left on the discard pile. "I'm out." I add with a grin, leaning back in my chair to mock the way Gramps is sitting.

"Son of a bitch, you got me stuck with deducting 275 points!"

"Oh no! What a bummer! I hope this didn't make me pull ahead and win the whole game!" I retort in a sarcastic tone.