C.21

Zack's PoV

"Zack I'm surprised to see you here, what happened?"

I raised my head to see one of the assistant principals sitting at the front of the room, eating a fruit cup.
"Nothing really—"

"He talked back in class and cursed without thinking" I sucked my teeth hearing her voice. Mrs. Charles. Of course. Glancing back towards the door I saw her holding onto her favorite water bottle.
It had apples on the outside.

"No he didn't" She gasped, placing her fruit cup on the table, her eyes were wide. It wasn't surprising to me that she didn't believe her. I seemed like the perfect student to them at some points.

"He did" Mrs. Charles laughed, walking towards the front with her purse on her shoulder.

"Whatever" Mumbling I put my head back down onto the desk, listening to them go on and on about their day.

____________________

"Uno out!" Ms. Hayley yelled, slamming her card down onto the desk. I jumped up in surprise, did I fall asleep?
"I don't see how you always win" Mrs. Charles murmured under her breath.
"I'm just simply the best" Ms. Hayley stood up with a smile on her face. Looking towards me she waved. "Zack, you slept through your detention—and our Uno matches." She laughed, while Mrs Charles on the other hand had let out a sigh of defeat.
I just wanted to leave.

 "I can leave?" My voice came out with a slight croak. They both nodded their hear while I took my chance to quickly get out of there.

Grabbing my bag I walked out the door into the empty hallway. It was darker outside but not pitch black. I wonder what Reagan was up to.

There was a soft vibration in my pocket, and hopefully I already knew who it was. Fishing through my pocket I pulled out my phone, excited to talk to Reagan.

To my disappointment it was my mother—I love her but I wasn't expecting it to be her. Answering the phone I immediately felt a headache start up. "Zackybear! Where are you?" I could hear the worry in her voice. 

"I got a detention" Rolling my eyes I walked in the parking lot over to my car, listening to her rant on and on about how I was a good child, but I couldn't stop my mind from wandering. Reagan. "Are you even listening to me?" 

I drove down the dimly lit road, ocasionally stopping at the aching pain in my leg. "Yes I am, it's hard driving with my leg like this and with you lecturing me" She sighed. "I'll see you when you get home, be safe" 

My mother hung up, leaving me alone with my thoughts. Would I ever have these feelings returned? "Don't get your hopes up, Zackery Peterson" I sang, pulling into the driveway, but my imagination of the perfect relationship was soon snapped away. 

I was brought to reality as I saw a black dodge charger parked further into the driveway. The only person who had one that I knew was Reagan. 

Turning the car off I got out, walking up to the front door. "Zack you're finally home!" My mother exclaimed, opening the door. She had a smile on her face. "Whose car is that?" I pulled her in for a hug, she wrapped her arm around mine, helping me into the house. 

"It's mine" Glancing towards the kitchen I saw West sitting with a cup of wine and a plate of chicken parmesan. What was going on? My mother and West? You've got to be kidding me. "Don't get the wrong idea, he came to drop some things off and I offered him food" Looking at my mother she had a smile on her face. Of course I would get the wrong idea. "Come eat" 

I sat down at the kitchen table, it was awkward. My mother dished me up a plate then settled it down in front of me. "Eat up, kiddo" 

"Thank you" Smiling I cut into the food while West did the same, he was already halfway done with his, my mother sat next to me while she dug into her food. 

______________________________

"Thank you for cleaning up Zack" My mother rubbed my shoulder, West was still here and I had no idea why. "Anytime" Placing the last plate in the strainer I jumped as Pumpkin, our Boston Terrier ran down the stairs with her bone in her mouth.

 "Where's Rosa?" I glanced at my mother, she pointed towards her room. Rosa was our pitbull and she was obsessed with my mother. "I'm going upstairs" Yawning I carefully walked up the stairs. My mother ignored me while West and her talked. 

My door was opened slightly, did my mother go in there again? "God damn it" Mumbling I set my bag down at the door, flipping the switch on. "What the-" 

My eyes widened in surprise at the scene before me. Reagan was asleep in my bed with a photo album open. I felt the embarrassment bubble up at how there was a baby photo of me holding a stuffed snowman. The blanket was draped over him and his lips were parted slightly. He looked adorable, and I had to fight the urge to kiss him.

 "Fuck it" Slowly walking over to him I gently knelt down so I could see his face. There was a slight pain in my leg, but I ignored it. His hair was sticking up slightly. Could I do it? I felt the palms of my hands become sweaty. This was Reagan, not anyone else. Moving my face towards his I could feel his breath fan against my lips. 

We were so close, I could almost drown in these feelings at the moment. 

"What're you doing?" I froze, Reagan's eyes were open slightly.

 Fuck.