Chapter 16: Practice Makes Perfect, Right?

I had a feeling Simon and Louie were going to yell at us. My feeling was correct. After about ten minutes of scolding, everyone who went paint balling joined the rest of the contestants for practice. I've never been to a practice, not even my track practices. So I pretty much had no idea what to do or expect.

"Okay, we're going to be dancing today," Simon told us as he sat down. I held in a groan. I hated to dance. Yes, I know I wanted to be a backup dancer for the X Factor. But that's only because I didn't want Niall to crush my face with his pale fist. Brian Friedman appeared. He taught us some choreograph to the song "Telephone" a couple of days ago.

"Can I have all the boys come to the center?" Brian asked. The boys went to the front and got in lines. When the music started playing, I looked around to see which boys I knew. Niall, Louis, Harry, Liam, Ed.... Where was Zayn? I slipped out from the crowd into the back. I saw Zayn near chairs pacing. I walked up next to him.

"Hey Zayn," I greeted.

"Hi Thaila," he replied.

"Why aren't you out there dancing?" I asked.

"Because I don't want to," Zayn said plainly.

"There has to be a reason Zayn."

"I just don't want to Thaila. Ok?"

"Fine. Don't tell me. I'll find out sooner or later." Just as I was about to enter back onto the stage, Simon came out and walked over to Zayn.

"Zayn, why aren't you out there?" Simon asked.

"I can't dance Simon," Zayn said.

"So what if you can't dance. I bet a lot of other people out there can't dance but they're out there anyway," Simon told him.

"I know," Zayn sighed.

"Let's give it a try," Simon suggested. Zayn nodded. I quickly got back on the stage, waiting for Zayn to dance. When the music started, Zayn surprisingly started to dance. He was actually pretty good. I didn't know why he said he couldn't dance.

"Can I have all the girls come out here?" Brian asked, making me jump. I wasn't paying that much attention. I took my spot up front. I hated being up front. Everyone could see you mess up. As the music started, I realized my shoe was untied. Not that big a deal, so I just left it be. Biggest. Mistake. Of. My. Life. When I went to turn, I tripped on my shoelace and fell off the stage.

"Thaila!" Niall gasped, running down to help me.

"I'm fine Niall," I grumbled.

"No you aren't! You're bleeding!" he squealed. I looked at my elbows. They weren't gushing blood, but they were pretty scraped up.

"Niall, go get me a band aide," I commanded him. He nodded. While he went to go get me a band aide, a girl hopped down from the stage.

"That was some fall you took," she commented.

"Yeah," I agreed. "Who are you?"

"Cher Lloyd. I auditioned right after you," she explained. 

"Oh." Just then, Niall came back with a band aide. I looked at it and frowned.

"What's wrong with it?" he asked.

"Bob the builder? Really?" I scoffed.

"It's all they had!" he protested. I rolled my eyes, putting on the band aide. I got on the stage. This time, I made sure my shoelace was tied. I heard people snickering around me. It took all my willpower not to punch them in the face.

"Let's start again," Brian said. I moved numbly throughout the entire practice. I was too embarrassed to actually try to dance. On the way back to the house, Harry caught up to me.

"Nice falling off the stage," he said. I pushed him.

"Shut up," I grumbled.

"Are you okay?" he asked.

"Yea. My elbow hurts a bit but I'm fine," I replied.

"That's good. I wouldn't want you to get hurt."

"Aw really?"

"Yea. You're too pretty to get hurt." I raised my eyebrows. Was he flirting with me? I think he was flirting with me.

"Why thanks Harry," I said. We stopped.

"Um, Thaila I need to ask you a question," Harry mumbled.

"What is it?" I questioned. He leaned in close to me.

"Will you go out with me?" he whispered in my ear.

HEHEHE CLIFFHANGA SORTA