🥀Chapter 2🥀

"Words have no power to impress the mind without exquisite horror of their reality"

~Edgar Allan Poe~

🦋

It's been a month. A month of constant calls, annoying sympathetic visits, and messages that keep pouring into our home like a never-ending plague.

It truly made me wonder if the whole world knew Zarene was dead and had decided to play some dumb part and act like saints which in all honesty makes me sick.

Zarene and I didn't attend the same school since I was better off homeschooled, and my then therapist had advised to keep me away from people after an episode in middle school when I had bashed a kids head with my food tray during lunchtime for making fun of my hair.

I remember it like it was yesterday; I had walked into the room and planned on just having a peaceful lunch when a funny looking red-haired kid walked up to me and called my hair a freak zone.

I hadn't reacted at first since Zarene had told me to ignore everyone and stay in my happy place.

Whatever that meant.

So I had just looked at the skinny mess of a child and rolled my eyes, which was something I had picked up from my overly dramatic Nigerian mother, and trust me when I say dramatic is understated when it comes to Yoruba people.

Oh yeah, back to the boy I had almost killed.

Well, after neatly placing my backpack on the floor, I turned to face the little rabbit with a bit of a scowl on my face.

"The little freak wants to cry?" he sneered, which immediately set me into autopilot.

Not wasting another second, I grabbed my food tray, not minding its content, and effectively slammed it against his crummy little head.

Not expecting the blow, the kid crumpled to the dirty cafeteria ground, but as I said, once the monster is out to play, nothing stops it until it had achieved what it wanted.

So I hit him

Again and again and again, repeatedly banging the metallic tray against his flesh and enjoying the painful smacks that resonated across the room.

I had faintly heard screams of my fellow student's horror and watchful teachers, but I didn't stop until I felt myself being grabbed and dragged away from the kids screaming form on the now bloodied floor.

I remember the look of horror on everyone's face that day.

The way Za had come racing into the room, obviously hearing the commotion then thinking of me and how she froze when she had seen how close I had come to killing another kid.

It was the only thing that had touched me out of everything put together; because, at that moment, I felt like I had disappointed her.

After being carted off to the astonished principal, who no doubt already knew what I had done, I was pretty sure he was wondering what a little 11-year-old kid like me could have been possessed with to do something so horrific.

Minutes later, both my parents had barreled into the Principles office. My mother in tears, and my father looking very angry. 

I remember how the teacher on duty that day at the cafeteria recounted the story his expression seemingly haunted as he recalled my inhuman behavior.

Then the video gotten from the security camera came out, and my mother's tears seized.

I watched as she stared at the video of my episode and slowly turned to me in great trepidation.

She didn't have to say a word to me to express just how shaken she was, and I couldn't blame her for those feeling because I knew I wasn't in the slightest bit normal.

The fact that I still wanted to get back out there and finish up the boy for good was proof enough.

I had never seen my father look so enraged either; I mean, he was a perfectionist, after all, always wanting us to look like a model family so we'd feed his fantasy of acceptance and a better life in the US.

But at that very moment, he knew we weren't perfect after all, and all his dreams of living an at least normal everyday family life had gone right down the drain.

His deepest fear had come to life; the sordid fact that I was just like him and he was terrified.

Having had enough and getting fueled by the video the Principal practically jumped out of his stuffy chair and asked my parents to have me commited into a mental institution as I was in his words "a threat to others and simply a monster all in all".

Everything that happened right after that was all a blur.

I had gotten expelled and forced to see a psychiatrist who had diagnosed me with conduct disorder.

Then as the years went by, I had gotten a diagnosis of Sadistic personality disorder, which I believed was a lot more fitting for someone my current age.

After the whole fiasco and my parents having to get me homeschooled and heavily monitored, I had no one else on my side but Za.

Right after school, she'd sit by my door (since it always had to be locked to keep everyone else safe courtesy my dad) and recount her day to me, word for word like she knew I needed a bit of normalcy my life after the incident. Then after recounting every detail she'd tell me she loved me and slip some snacks under the door as a little gift.

Then some days she'd whisper to me when she knew I could hear her through the door.

"Are you happy Zuri?" she'd whisper, "please be happy"

Zarene did that for about six months before I had eventually been allowed to leave my room after an incident with my father I'd rather not delve into.

But let's just say I was the least threat in my family after that.

And truth be told, the only reason I had improved was being because I knew Zarene would always be there for me. When I call her my light, its precisely what she was to me, and now she's gone, the light's snuffed right out, and I'm left in the dark yet again.

Although it's been years since I had attended a regular school, Zarene had always wanted me to go with her to Barkley academy for senior year. A notion I had never agreed on until now.

I mean, what better way to get back at all the bastards that had made her so miserable than actually attending Barkley where no one knew about me or had even once heard my name.

Infiltrating the school and finding my targets would be a piece of cake as I would be right in the middle of it. Now all I had to do was convince my psychiatrist to convince my parents I was more than ready to attend regular school.

Especially with Zarene's death, I doubt they'll be keen on seeing my face so often anyway, so I was literally doing everyone a favor.

WORD COUNT: 1058

Don't forget to vote and leave a comment loves🤗🌈
•~•~•~•~•~•~•

Peep little Zuri at the bottom, isn't she just adorable😍