🥀Chapter 12🥀

"One day I'm just going to say fuck it all and let my demons out to play".

~Dark~
🦋

Growing up I remember Zarene had a rather unhealthy obsession with rabbits, back then she'd watch all the episodes of looney tunes and loved the character bugs bunny to a fault.

It got so bad that she made our mother get her as many souveniers as possible and would dress up like a rabbit any chance she got.

It was pretty tiring for my mother since her room always resembled a rabbit hole nightmare so in a bid to try to curb Za's weird fascination she made a deal with my sister; no more bugs bunny toys and in exchange she was going to get her her very own live rabbit only as long as dad didn't find out.

For a girl whose whole life revolved around school and our depressing home having an actual pet was a deal breaker so she jumped at the chance we got Bugs.

Mother had gotten a chubby snow white rabbit and Za had been enchanted from the first sight.

She used to dress him up in ridiculous get-ups and take him literally everywhere even to the bathroom much to my mothers horror.

But all in all Bugs slowly but surely became Zarene's best friend and although I couldn't understand her love for the obessed rabbit I knew I wanted her happy.

That is until Father finally came home from one of his supposed long ass business trips, and everyone knew not to cross paths with him once he just got back and had to stay out of his sight for a few days.

Too bad poor Bugs didn't get the memo.

I can't remember for sure what had happened that day, but I could hear the faint sound of my father yelling upstairs from my place in the dark dingy basement as well as Zarene's cry of apologies.

Not too long after I heard my fathers heavy footsteps descending down the stairs followed by Zarene's lighter ones as she screamed for Bugs.

Not making a sound I crawled under a vent in the darker side of the basement so he wouldn't spot me and waited, only for him to slam the basement door minutes late locking it from inside so Za wouldn't get in.

Turning on the basement light I let my gaze assess the situation and noticed Bugs in my fathers hands, his little body being crushed in his iron grip.

Clearly aggravated Father placed bugs on the table rather harshly and went for the work tools he placed on the wall close to my hiding spot.

Picking out some weird looking equipment coupled with a rather big hammer he turned around and headed fro bugs who just lay on the table, a stream of reddish substance dripping from its leg.

Ignoring Za's screams from the other side of the door he pulled Bugs body closer and slammed the hammer right into its body making blood splatter everywhere. I remember the little strangled sound Bugs made as my father smashed its body to pieces, its fur turning a dark shade of crimson and his intestines scattered hazzardly all over the table and the floor.

He kept at it until Bugs was just a mangled unrecognizable mess of blood, fur and gut.

And I watched it all, not minding the pieces of flesh and blood that had splashed on my face and arm or the heavy breathing of my father, or even the cries of Za behind the door.

Once he was satisfied he left out the tools and marched towards the door not even bothering with his appearance and walked past Za who had started hiccuping from crying so much.

Hurriedly I got out of my spot on the floor and went over to the door stopping Za from making her way inside.

"Za go back upstairs" I whispered to her looking straight at her swollen tear stricken face.