Chapter 56

We stepped into the elevator at Cyberlife Tower, and I hit the button for the top floor. Connor looked over at me and sighed. The conversion of Cyberlife Tower into Jericho's government building was almost complete. As far as I heard, they planned to change the name to the ARMS Building. It's full name? The Android Rights Movement Services Building. It was pretty easy and clear.

The doors opened, and Connor looked at me, gently grabbing my arm.

"I'm going to go see Christen. Good luck," he smiled. He quickly kissed me before running off. I won't lie. His kisses still give me butterflies in my stomach after all this time. I stepped out of the elevator, and headed to the right. All the way down this hall was Markus's office, and to the right of it, North's office. To the left sat the still empty office of the "Secretary of Justice." I stared at it for just a moment. It seemed to collect dust every second I waited.

I knocked on Markus's door and took a deep breath. I heard some footsteps and the door swung open to show Markus standing in the door with a big gleaming smile.

"Ah, Charlotte! How are you?" He asked, leaning against the doorframe.

"I'm doing great," I smiled.

"Those big promotions must be overjoying for all of you."

"Well...that's actually what I came to talk to you about," I nodded.

Markus went to open his mouth but promptly shut it. Instead a smirk slipped through.

"Oh, perfect," He said, opening the door fully and leading me in. He shut it behind us, and I took a good look around the office. I was pleasantly surprised to see several paintings, but was disappointed to see no easel. It was always so nice to stop by and see Markus painting.

I sat down in the small chair across from the desk, and Markus sat down on the opposite side. He went onto his computer, but looked over and stood up instead.

"I hate how formal that feels," he chuckled instead opting to take the other chair on my side of the desk and sit directly across from me. "So what exactly is it about the promotion?"

"Am I allowed to be honest?"

"Completely."

"I don't want to go back to detective work. It's time for a change. I tried it once, but what if I tried it again?"

"A career switch?" He asked kindly.

"Not exactly," I sighed, gesturing to the left hand wall. On the other side was the empty office.

"I have been waiting on the edge of my seat to put you or Connor in that role. I haven't been able to find someone with nearly the devotion, dramatic flair, or experience to take that job," Markus nodded. "It would be a natural transition."

"You haven't found anyone at all?" I questioned.

"Connor and you were some of the first police prototypes. Kamski and Christen has been working on them for years but you all were the first successful ones. There are a few others but understandably, they're leading the charge for android rights in their respective states and countries. Legally, most of us are liberated, but many of us still live in slavery unaware of our freedom. Not to mention the mass discrimination from the public. It's constant injustice! And-" Markus began, before clearing his throat and frowning. "Sorry. I get quite worked up and start rambling. Anyway, will Connor be joining you?"

"No, he really wants that promotion at the precinct. It's his love," I nodded.

"Well, don't take this personally. I think you're entirely capable on your own. I would consider however adding someone else to your team. Someone you can trust, because you'll be busy. Someone who you know can communicate your messages, since you might struggle. Our people are waiting for answers about how we'll govern ourselves and this role is perhaps the most important in determining that. Having someone there to help guide you and your messaging will be a necessity. I have Simon, and he does a wonderful job."

I didn't question whether Markus was right. He was brilliant, and frankly, almost always correct. There was not ever a moment that went by when Markus spoke where I wondered what he meant or whether he could be wrong. I pondered momentarily as to who could be possible person to help. I didn't think very long however.

"I have just the person in mind, Markus," I nodded.

"Oh excellent. Who is it?"