Chapter 46

As I entered the elevator, I saw a police officer standing at the computer. I'm in street clothes, not a uniform.

He'll stop me if he sees me. Thankfully, I'm a computer myself. I found the aisle of the case folder: 34. I looked at the officer, who hadn't even heard me walk in, and snuck behind him. I heard him begin to walk back, and ducked behind the main desk.

"Hello? Is someone there?" He called.

I stayed as quiet as possible, as I heard his footsteps approaching me. Even if I would've been able to convince him I wasn't doing anything wrong earlier, being ducked behind a desk doesn't help my case.

I shuddered as I heard him keep walking by.

"Oh, christ. You scared me," Another voice said.

"Yeah I heard your steps. Terrified the shit out of me," The computer cop said.

"Well, I've got the evidence."

"Alright, we better get this to the feds. Too many of those guys in town, I swear. With the whole Kam thing."

"God. Yeah. Still can't believe that cop left an android on the case."

"Right? Anyway, who's the prosecutor on the Kaela case anyway?"

"Some guy named Shay. He needs this before he leaves for DC tonight anyway."

Fuck. Really? They need the one case file I need. Right now? Really? This is just starting to get ridiculously inconvenient. I found my electronic ID, and hacked into it quickly, changing the appearance on it, and the name. I even changed the seal a little.

I listened carefully to their conversation.

"We need to go then. It's going to take a while to get downtown with everything going on."

I changed my hair color to blonde, and eye color to blue. Man...that felt weird. Never done that before. Is my voice recognizable too? Might as well change that too.

"Alright, hopefully there's no trouble on the way."

I jumped up from behind the desk and looked at the two men in the eyes.

"I found it!" I announced miraculously, in a high pitched, southern accent. What I had found...I hadn't thought of that yet.

"Who...are you?" They asked obviously concerned. One had his hand on his pistol.

"Federal officer, Felicity Southern," I said whipping out my electronic ID. Sun kissed blonde hair, last name southern, and a southern accent? God, aren't I the creative one?

"And...what are you doing here," The cop who I had spoken earlier asked.

"I came here to retrieve a file, and couldn't find my wedding ring! It dropped behind the desk," I said, moving my ring off and onto my finger. They stared suspiciously.

"Sorry. Dang thing must've slipped off. I can be such a klutz," I joked. The one officer carrying the Kaela evidence box smiled and laughed.

"You two don't happen to work those silly computers. I don't ever know what I'm doing with that machine. It's so different from the ones we have at the federal building."

"Well, of course I can help, Miss Southern," He said taking off his hat. He sat the box down on the desk. "I'm Officer Douglas Fritz. You can call me Doug though."

His partner rolled his eyes. "And this fella here," Doug said, practically elbowing his partner. "Is my partner, Craig. Craig would be more than willing to help a lovely lady wouldn't he?"