Chapter 14

"So, here's the plan," Ethan said, as we stepped into the elevator. "I will knock on the door, and introduce myself and you. Then we will ask them questions about Asher and take a good look around."

"Alright," I answered. Ethan pressed the button for the 8th floor, and we took it up. He left the elevator in front of me, and I followed him out and down the hall towards the apartment. Ethan knocked on the door, and I took the position to the right of him.

We heard two pairs of footsteps approach the door, and watched as they opened it.

I was immediately taken aback. I almost stumbled backward. I felt like vomiting. The pair that I was looking at...was Connor and me. Or...a copy of us? An RK800 and a CR400, hand in hand. That's what's important.

"Hi, I'm agent Ethan Brant with the FBI, and this is my partner, Charlotte Anderson with the Detroit Police Department. We would like to ask you some questions."

"Oh thank God," The RK800 began. "My brother has gone missing. We haven't heard from him since last night."

Ethan looked confused before turning to me. He must've seen it on my face. I wanted to reach over there and kill him for not warning me that the pair Asher Kam lived with....was my husband and me.

"Is your brother...Asher Kam?" Ethan asked.

"Yes. Why? Have you found him?" The RK800 asked, his arm still firmly around the CR400. They certainly don't have the same personalities as Connor and I, but they're...us. We have the same face, the same model number. Everything.

"I think it's best we come inside and talk," Ethan said, stepping in.

"Oh my God, is he dead?" The RK800 exclaimed, moving over so Ethan and I could come in.

"No. We found your brother...murdering a man," Ethan explained.

"What?" The RK800 answered. "No, no. Not Asher."

"I'm sorry," I stepped in, suddenly. I felt very uneasy talking to them.

"My partner here...she found him actually. He's been the prime suspect in an investigation for many years now. We need to discuss some history about him," Ethan explained.

"Okay. Alright. We'll help. Won't we?" The CR400 asked, turning to the RK800.

"Yes...I suppose we will. Here. Sit down. Let's talk then," he said, nervously planting himself on a couch across from a dining room table. The CR400 followed him in suit. Ethan pulled out two seats facing them and sat down in one. I sat down in the other. "So...what are your names and models?"

"I'm Spencer Kam," The RK800 explained. "And this is my wife. Connie Kam."

Well, at least they don't have the same names as us.

Ethan looked at me before looking back at the couple. "It seems like we have a lot to discuss. Let me talk things over quickly with my partner, and then we'll talk to both of you. Separately," Ethan explained.

"Oh alright," Spencer mumbled, taking Connie's hand. I felt extraordinarily uncomfortable. Ethan nearly pulled me up by my shirt and took me over to the side, far away from the Kam's. By far away, I mean into their kitchen, and barely out of earshot.

"What's your problem? You're sitting there looking like you just saw your worst enemy," Ethan whispered.

"Why didn't you tell me that the two people Asher Kam was living with were...were..."

"You and Connor? Because it shouldn't matter, Charlotte. Outside of your precinct, no one gives a shit if you two are married, and maybe you need to get used to it."