Chapter 4

My wife.
My beautiful wife.
It feels so good to say. I'm saying it all the time. I know it's been like 20 minutes, but I've to say "my wife" like 10 times already.

I stare at her. Her soft eyes, and her small smile. I watch as she chuckles at Nick's bad jokes, and tucks her hair behind her ears. I pay special attention to the way her wedding dress falls on her shoulders.

She wanted nothing special, just a short white dress. It doesn't matter. She could make anything look special. I never knew a woman could make a court room look like a wedding hall, but Charlotte was able to.

Her white dress has soft delicate flowers making up the straps, with a simple short a-line skirt. She can be abrasive so the gentleness of the flowers only serves to round her out in the kindest way.

"Nick?" Charlotte smirked. Nick stood up and looked around. The table only has a few seats, for a wedding anyway. Our guest list was very short.

Nick, Gavin, Christen, Margot, Fiona, Markus, Simon, Josh, North, and of course, Hank.

We finalized the guest list in about 20 minutes. It wasn't hard.

Nick winked at Hank as if to say something, and Nick began to give his speech.

"So, we are all gathered here today to celebrate the huge and gigantic wedding of Connor and Charlotte Anderson," Nick said sarcastically, of course. "I suppose it speaks to their ability to make friends."

Charlotte gave a rousing chuckle. I smiled listening to her genuine, and gentle laugh.

"They made very good friends. I, personally, think I was the best friend they made, but whatever, that's not important. What's important is that Charlotte is my best friend. She and I met under odd circumstances. Very odd. Most people don't have to activate their best friends or tell them their name. Most people don't have to have their sister repair their best friend on a regular basis...or for that matter watched their sister design their best friend. But I wouldn't change that for a second.

"So, my best friend has some weird quirks like having blue blood or being able to get drunk off water. I, however, am eternally thankful she met someone who's weird quirks match up perfectly with hers. I have seen few couples who I would argue were meant to be together, but Charlotte and Connor I am positive of. My best friend...my wonderful best friend has met her wonderful counterpart. My best friend has met...well, her best friend. And I've met my best friend. And now we're first best friends. Like, you know. The president's wife is the First Lady. Now we are each other's first best friends? I don't think that makes sense, but it made sense to me before...

"Anyway...when two best friends get married to their best friends, what happens? Some would say they drift apart, but thankfully we have an 8-hour daily obligation to one another. Some would say they lose themselves, but thankfully we never found ourselves. Some would say they forget one another but thankfully were unforgettable. I know that's all speculative and inconsequential, but to me, Charlotte has been the largest consequence in my life. She's saved my life multiple times and helped me find my way through the most difficult period of my life. And now, it's time we start our lives with our best friends, and our best friendship, together. Like best friends do. So anyway...I'm done making shitty jokes, and talking about shitty ideas, and making shitty commentary. Just know, I love you best friend, and I'm glad we have more best friends now."

Nick sat down and smirked. Charlotte laughed at his awkwardness and snuggled her head into my chest. I had to catch my breath for a second. The feeling of my now wife snuggling her head into my chest made my heart skip a beat. Nick noticed and smiled.

"You know, not everything she does is novel," Nick mumbled to me.

"It feels like it," I answered, wrapping my arms around her.

Charlotte laughed softly and smiled. Hank gave me a genuine grin and nodded.

"You chose well, kid," he sighed.

"Thanks, Hank," I answered. It's weird knowing that you're watching someone who became your father...watch you get married. It gives you just a little bit of anxiety. They are watching the beginning of your new life and you're just sort of experiencing it.

Charlotte sat up and planted a kiss on my lips, and I held her close. I ran my fingers through my hair making sure that I could remember how she felt at this moment. How do her lips feel on mine? How does her hair feel? How does she feel on me right now? I can't forget how this feels. This tiny amount of bliss and realization that this is my wife.

I smiled. I can never forget this moment.