Chapter 40 - The Interview

"Hello, Officer," A young, tall, blonde man approached me. He was not as well built as Nick, but rather scrawnier. He, though, seemed much taller than Nick, even though Nick himself is quite tall. 

"Hello," I sighed. 

"I'm FBI agent Ethan Brant. I've been studying this case. I have to apologize though...for this unusual situation," he said gesturing. It was my first time on the opposite side of the interview table.

"Well, things are unusual right now," I answered. "Can you explain to me exactly what happened?"

"Sure. But I need to ask you a few questions first. Let's just get to know each though. For right now. How long have you been a cop?"

"Almost two years," I nodded. "You?"

"I was a cop for five, and then entered the FBI about two years ago. They still callin' you 'rookie'?" He joked.

"Never have," I answered. 

"You're an android though, right? And Connor is your husband?"

"That's what they tell me," I nodded.

"And you have any kids?"

"We're still thinking about that, but no. Just a dog."

"Oh? What kind of dog?"

"A Siberian Husky. Her name is Blueberry."

"I have a husky...his name is Diesel."

"That's a really good name, actually."

"He came with it. He's adopted."

"So is Blueberry."

"It's really an interesting thing, right? Adopting dogs? You wish you could take them all home, but you can only pick one. Hopefully you end up picking the one that you need, and the one that needs you."

"Hmm. Exactly. Blueberry and I connected from a mile away, if I'm honest," I sighed.

"Well, as much as I love talking to you about Huskies...we have something else to talk about. When did you meet Morgan?"

"Only about a month ago."

"And he introduced himself as Ethan Brant, and showcased ID?"

"Yes. I looked at the ID, and nothing was out of order-"

"I know. You don't have to defend yourself," The real Ethan Brant smiled. "I just need to figure out the details, and big moments."

"Alright."

"And Morgan, did he dress well or sloppy?"

"Always dressed well. Always like he had money to spare. Tailored suits, and a fancy car."

"His car. Right. Was there anything weird about his car?"

"Considering what I know now, it was fancy as fuck. Expensive. Extremely decked out. Fast. Had FBI plates," I explained.

"Was it self-driving, manual, or both?"

"Both. But we only ever used manual."

"Morgan...was he suave or awkward?"

"Both. He always seemed to know exactly what to say to get what he wanted, but he had his moments...and they were more often than you would expect."

"Was he angry or calm?"

"With me, calm. Always cool, calm, and collected. With any body else, angry. Always extremely angry."

"When he worked on the case, did it seem like he knew what he was doing, or would you have thought he was a rookie?"