Chapter 52

The feeling disappeared suddenly. I opened my eyes, and saw Ethan standing right in front of me. The gun was on the table behind me, and he was holding something.

"Get rid of this next time you decide to deviate," Ethan rolled his eyes. I touched my temple and felt a divot where my LED typically was. I looked and saw Ethan drop the light ring and stomp on it.

Connor was standing up behind Ethan holding handcuffs. Connor handcuffed Ethan and sighed.

"Don't take this in a nice way, but thanks," Connor said to him.

Connor walked out of the room with Ethan and they left.

"You alright there, kid?" The prosecutor asked grabbing my shoulder.

"What happened?" I asked.

"You closed your eyes, and then suddenly your ring started flashing all these crazy colors. Connor, I think, tried calling your name but you didn't answer. Brant just walked over and tore that ring right out your head and you were back," The prosecutor explained.

"Oh..." I sighed. How did Christen not know that? Well...I guess I never did tell her.

"Listen...have you ever considered becoming a lawyer?" He asked.

"Uh...no."

"Maybe you should consider it. You and the Connor guy are brilliant deviants, and we could use you guys in law."

"Brilliant 'deviants'?" I questioned.

"Some of them are great and all but they were meant for one or two tasks and don't really process much beyond that. But you and Connor..."

"I'm not sure if you're aware of how offensive and insulting that comment is," I sighed, walking away.

"Is it? I'm sorry. I really am. I didn't know. You'll have to give me some leeway. This whole thing is new for all of us,"

"I'll consider it," I said, turning back to him. "But next time don't bring it up moments after a hostage situation."

"Oh, I knew he wasn't going to kill me the moment he let you into that room," The prosecutor sighed rolling his eyes.

"Good for you," I shrugged approaching the elevator.

"Let's start over," He said, stepping into the elevator with me. "I'm-"

"Listen...no. I'm not doing this anymore," I sighed. The elevator moved down to the first floor.

"Doing what?" He asked as the doors opened.

"Whatever this is. For now, I'm going back to my apartment, with my husband, and playing with my dog. You can email me, or my captain, or whatever. You work for the Feds, figure it out," I sighed, walking out of the elevator.

~

"Today, we will be hearing from the federal prosecutor Mark Shay, Captain Jeffrey Fowler, and Detroit Police Officer Nicholas Lance. This comes just hours after shocking developments in the Android Serial Killer case of Asher Kam. Requests have been made to speak with the other two officers responsible for developments, Charlotte and Connor Anderson, however, they have been unreachable," The news anchor announced.

I turned to Connor as he poured us two glasses of wine. "All that and they leave out Hank. He was there too," Connor rolled his eyes.

"You don't need to defend me, son. I don't like all that attention anyway," Hank said, elbow deep in a bag of Doritos. Unsurprisingly, Blueberry and Sumo were cuddled up in the corner of the room. Connor sighed and sat down anyway.