Chapter 37

By the time it was all done and over with, Nick and I had managed to build a pretty sturdy collection of things for Connor. Materialism, I know, isn't an apology. I'm not trying to apologize though. I'm trying to make him feel better. An apology can only really come from the heart. Buying him flowers and chocolates is just...trying to make him not feel so bad. Although, I don't doubt that if he sees they're from me, he won't take them. I hope he's not too upset at me. I hope it's mild. I hope I didn't ruin things.

I hope for a lot, now that I think about it. 

We sent flowers, and chocolates, of course. Not just any chocolates, though. Connor's favorite chocolates.

~

I turned to Connor, and watched as he opened up his file cabinet drawer. The whole cabinet was filled with a dense collection of files all pertaining to different cases that had gone cold. Connor and Hank have an affinity for figuring out those cases, and today was no different. They closed a 20 year old murder investigation after getting a confession out of the victim's partner. Connor could now feel comfortable stowing away the file in his small and neat stack of files awaiting final reports. 

As always, after a case like this, he'll treat himself. He'll take out of a rarely used jacket pocket, a small but distinct chocolate bar. It's incredibly expensive, for just one bar $30, but it's quite good to Connor. The packaging is black and white. To me, of course, I hate it. It's more bitter than any other type Connor has, but he loves it. He savors every nibble.

What's funniest though, is that it's not his favorite. His favorite is, of course, a Mars Bar. He thinks I don't notice, but he clearly favors Mars bars over any other type of chocolate. This other chocolate bar is just there for him to enjoy an expnesive treat, but he inevitably reaches for a Mars bar when he's stressed. He never reaches for naything else. Just that one

I smiled at him, and he gently broke off the piece. He then nibbled off the tip of the expensive bar. I chuckled. The world doesn't matter any time Connor eats chocolate (it doesn't matter whta type). There could be a fire alarm going off, and he wouldn't even hear it. I like that he has his own world though...His own place to be when things get rough. To be honest, I take a little bit of joy out of seeing him look so happy. It's enough to just watch the person you love be satisfied.

~

So of course, as many Mars bars as Nick would let me purchase are being sent to our apartment as we speak. Besides for that, it's clothes, wine, jewlery, and anything else I can find that I think that he likes.

As we finished up, Nick gave me a hug.

"Listen. You made a mistake, but I know why you did it. I'll be back tomorrow," he said, gently cupping my face.

"Thanks, Nick," I sighed. "Can I stay here?"

"If you want to babysit, sure," Nick shrugged.

"I don't," I shook my head.

"Oh, they're not bad at all," Nick sighed. "Here. Gavin probably needs a drink anyway considering how long I've abandoned him for. Follow me."

Up the stairs Nick went, taking me into a nursery. Two small toddler beds, and a room full of toys, and pretty decorations that were perfectly toddler proofed.

On the floor laid Gavin, with Hamza in the left arm, and Ahmed in the right. His arms were wrapped around both of them, and they had all passed out asleep. Nick chuckled, before imemdiately taking out his phone, and taking a photo of the situation. He leaned down, and gently tapped his head.

"You need a drink?" Nick whispered. 

"Yeah," Gavin nodded. Gavin unwrapped his arms, and took his right arm from under Ahmed slowly, and carefully as not to wake him, and repeated the process for his left arm. As he stood up, he planted a kiss on Nick's lips. 

"You got this Bolts?" Nick asked, gesturing to the two toddlers passed out on the floor.

"No?" I answered, shrugging.

"Download a parenting book or two, why don't you?" He smirked. He left behind me with Gavin, and I could hear them walk down the stairs. The front door slammed closed, and I cringed hoping it wouldn't wake the twins. It didn't, so I closed the nursery door, and took a seat on one of the toddler beds. I waited patiently, looking at what they had bene watching with Gavin, and just five minutes after Gavin left Hamza gently woke up. 

Welp...here come's trouble, right?