Chapter 29

I knocked on the door, and heard footsteps shuffling. Ethan stood behind me. I tried to place the footsteps, but they were too quiet. Must be an Android, right?

"Hello. Oh, Charlotte!" Fiona announced as she opened the door. The always quiet Android was extremely shocked to see me, but only raised her voice slightly.

"Hi, Fiona. Is Christen home?" I asked.

"Yes. She's working."

"Working on what. Can we talk to her?" I asked.

"I'm not sure what she's working on, but of course you can talk to her. She'll be happy to see you," Fiona said, opening up the door for us to come in.

"Oh, first, is Kamski here?" I asked. She nodded. I took a deep breath and stepped in.

"Where is Kamski?" Ethan asked Fiona.

"The engineering office. Let me show you. Charlotte, Christen is in the office down that hall. Third door on the left," Fiona answered. She and Ethan walked down a hallway to an elevator. I stood in the doorway and turned towards the hallway where Christen was. I looked around at the house which had over time taken in elements of Christen. I'm not extraordinarily familiar with the house, but I am extraordinarily familiar with Christen.

Some things were clearly hers, like a scarf which had been draped over the minimalist couch, or the photo of Cyberlife Tower over the fireplace. Even simple things, like perhaps an extra pair of her reading glasses, or some papers. Christen was clearly here and had incorporated herself into his space.

I followed Fiona's directions, at first opting not to explore, and preparing to just open the third door on the left. I turned around though, letting my curiosity get the best of me, and opened up the first door on the left.

It opened up to a bathroom. Nothing exciting, but it had clearly been 'Christened' with a pretty towel, and some knick-knacks were thrown around. I could see her toothbrush wasn't even properly put back in a holder.

I walked up further and opened the second door on the left, which was a bedroom. Just a single, perhaps twin-sized bed, with toys, homework, and clothes thrown around. I smiled a little. This was clearly Margot's room. I walked inside and knelt down picking up one of her toys. It was just a doll, whose hair she had done perfectly. Her bed wasn't neatly made, so I just gently tugged at everything until it was smooth.

I found myself slowly cleaning her room, and before I knew it, the room was organized. I sighed to myself. I couldn't help it.

I walked out of the room, shutting the door behind me, and instead, began looking at the doors on the right. There were only two doors on the right. I opened the first and saw nothing more than an office which had clearly became abandoned. It was obviously Kamski's, but things even looked dusty. The room simply looked untouched.

I moved on and opened the second door, which revealed another bedroom. It was clear Kamski and Christen shared one, from the way one side of the bed was quite neat, and without clutter, while the other was. I shut the door, deciding that I've already discovered too much about their personal life...and had cleaned Margot's room. It was already pretty evident I wasn't doing what I was supposed to be.

I knocked on the third door on the left, finally.

Christen didn't answer, so I just opened up. When I walked in, I could see Christen on the computer, wearing headphones. I tapped her shoulder and she jumped.

"Oh! Charlotte! Hello! What...what are you doing here?" She asked, clearly having gone from understanding to completely confused. I couldn't blame her. I hadn't really visited, or seen her, except for when we both happened to be at Nick's.

"I know that you worked on the original RK. I need any sort of records or data about that. And I have to talk to you."

"You sound like you need some tea," Christen sighed.

"Not right now. I'm busy," I shook my head.

"All the more reason," She nodded. She walked out of the room, and I stayed inside.

"Follow me, Charlotte!" She called. I sighed, and left the room, following her.