Chapter 54

Nick and I walked to the park that was right across from Connor and I's apartment.

"I always wondered...why do you stay in Detroit at all?" Nick asked.

"What do you mean?" I questioned.

"I would think you're made here. You were practically enslaved here. You fought for your right to be alive here. Why in the hell would you want to stay here and work the job they wanted you to?"

"I guess the same reason you stay in your parents house. It's comfortable and it shows them you don't care," I explained. "Plus I genuinely love my job."

"I get it. I guess I just think to when I was young like you and I ran everywhere until I settled down. I never stopped moving, never stopped going. I made plenty of mistakes but, at least I got to where I am having enjoyed myself," Nick shrugged.

"Yeah, but for an android it's different. I don't have to go to Alaska because they programmed Alaska into my head."

"But you didn't go. You didn't go and make your own memories there."

"Nick, do you want me to move?"

"Jesus fucking Christ, no. I couldn't ever live without you being like 15 minutes away. Christmas would never be the same again..."

"If you're just going to use me for plating all your dinners..." I sighed.

"No! I guess my point is, Charlotte, that you and Connor need to take a vacation. It sounds really silly but trust me. It will clear your heads and you might just come back having realized exactly where you want to be," Nick nodded.

We walked down the street a little more.

"You know, when I was a kid, the cops were different. I didn't want to be one until they changed," Nick sighed.

"What do you mean different?" I questioned.

"You know, now we're all detectives and task forces. We take turns responding to civil calls, and that's what patrol is. Cops before? Shit. They used to look for crime. Ticket people for being homeless...beat up civilians. They would cover for each other's bullshit too. All the time. By the time I was in my 20's though, things had really started to change. By then, being a police officer actually meant solving crimes for the greater good, not just saying that," Nick explained. "'Cuz we changed the system."

"So...if that's how you feel, why wouldn't you want to become Captain?" I questioned.

"Captain Fowler did something I wish cops had done when I was a kid. He recognized when he had done wrong, and he recognized when his superior did wrong. He resigned too, and then asked that his boss did."

"And...?"

"I worry I'll be too naive or too stupid to do the same. I might be so naive or stupid that I do something really...really wrong. And I'll quit because that'll be the right thing to do. But..."

"You don't want that to happen in the first place?"

"Exactly. And what if I think I'm right? That's even worse," Nick sighed.

I stopped walking and looked at Nick into his eyes.

"Nick, the only people who ever worry about not being a good person are good people. Have a little confidence in yourself. Fowler would've recommended someone else if he didn't think you could do it."

Nick looked at me and smiled softly. "That makes me feel a little bit better. I'm still not sure I can do it...but with the pay at least maybe Gavin could be a stay at home dad," he shrugged.

I stared at him for a moment. We both chuckled.

"Gavin would never do that," Nick shook his head. 

"Hey, its nice to dream though," I laughed.

"I still don't know if I can do it, Charlotte, and for the first time since we met, I don't think it's a decision you can help with," he said, gently placing his hand on my shoulder.

"That's okay, Nick. We don't have to make every decision together. But if you need help, I'll be here," I smiled.

"Trust me, I know that. Still don't want to ask you for help though. Secretly, I think Connor's going to need a lot more help recovering from all of this than he lets on. You guys may be robots, but you're deviants. You think and feel, even as much as he pretends that he doesn't," Nick shrugged.

"You're probably right," I sighed. "I'm hoping that maybe by us not working so close together, we'll be a normal couple."

"You guys already are a normal couple, Bolts. C'mon. You can't still be thinking, after all of this, normal is even a thing anymore?" Nick raised his eyebrow.

"You're right."

"I know I am."

"Needless to say... I think I'm going to Jericho tomorrow," I explained.

"Regardless of whether or not I keep it, I'm acting Captain, so take Connor with you tomorrow. I think I'm gonna close the precinct for the day. Everyone's done a little bit too much, and been through a little bit too much."

"That sounds like a good idea," I nodded.

"Maybe I am a natural at this whole leadership thing," Nick chuckled.

"Let's not get ahead of ourselves, Captain Lance."

"You know, that used to be your last name too until you went and got married or whatever," Nick rolled his eyes.

"I'll be more careful next time."