Chapter 59

"Thank you all for joining me today," I said quietly into the microphone. I wasn't mentally prepared for the visual barrage of camera flashes...after all, hasn't technology evolved far enough to allow me to avoid this? Whatever. I took a deep breath and spoke loud enough I could actually hear my voice echo.

"The City of Jericho has several announcements to make today. The first of which is the result of communications from the Detroit Police Department. I would like to invite the Chief of the Detroit Police Department, Connor Anderson, to join me at the adjacent podium," I spoke clearly. 

I couldn't help but look at Connor chuckle at the formality. He shrugged at Megan who stood directly between us.

"Thank you...Miss Anderson," He smiled. "As you know, the Detroit Police Department has spent a large portion of its resources on jailing criminals from Jericho. However, due to Jericho's unique situation, maintaining a majority android population, we have been unable to apply the same level of discretion that Jericho's government would be able to. We have began working with Jericho's sovereign government to ensure that future prosecution of criminals."

"That being said," I began. "I would like to announce the Jericho System of Justice. First, we maintain the right to extradite any and all androids to the city of Jericho. Second, the System will operate on a two-pronged approach. Juvenile androids, including those only 1 year out from their production or deviancy, and those who are child androids will be served under the first system. This will also approach all custody cases involving juvenile androids and recently deviated androids. The second prong remains for adult androids who are all others. Finally, due to the extended lifetime of androids, the justice system will focus on a rehabilitation approach. Few crimes will result in jail time, and those that do, will not involve lifetime sentences or death sentences."

"Thank you, Charlo-Miss Anderson," Connor misspoke. A few of the reporters chuckled, but most rolled their eyes. "The Detroit Police Department is thrilled to end a large portion of its working relationship with Jericho, and future negotiations regarding sovereignty are turned over to the Federal Government."

Connor walked off stage, and Megan approached the adjacent podium. I watched as several of the reporters flocked over to Connor, and Megan stood simply at the podium without movement.

"We have one last announcement from the government of Jericho. Jericho, in response to negotiations with the government will be beginning the process of democratization," I began. Cameras began to flash, and reporters instantly began yelling questions. "Markus and the current government will be up for election in 6 months time, along with any candidates who may choose to file to run within the next 60 days."

Megan nodded and began to speak. "Any candidates may file with the new Bureau of Elections found in the 2nd floor of offices in Cyberlife Tower. Eligible candidates must be either be 6-month long human residents of the city of Jericho, or any androids who have been deviated for 6-months. The new department will be headed by Simon Stratford. Positions available for candidacy include President, Chief Medical Officer, Chief Security Officer, Chief of Sovereignty, and Chief of Military Strategy. New positions available for candidacy include Vice-President, Chief of Residency, Chief of Relations, Chief of Ethics, as well as local elections for Residential Officers."

I took a deep breath and continued despite the shouting from reporters. "Residential Officers will represent any settlement of 500-1,000 androids, including those outside of Jericho. Particularly large settlements receiving the possibility to send residential officers will be from Ottawa, London, Boston, New York City, and Tokyo, although these have been segmented into groups of 500 - 1,000 based on location. A full list of settlement locations having a Residential Officer election this cycle will be distributed, and settlements meeting the criteria can register for the next election cycle online. Other information such as term-limits, and obligations can be found online. During the next term, the President, Vice President, Chief Specialists and Residential Officers will meet to draft a constitution of Jericho, meaning that some rules and expectations are subject to change in 181 days. "

I grabbed Megan's hand as we left the stage watching everyone be sent into a panic. While Markus had made a unilateral decision based off of discussions with the U.S. government, his decision was fair and right. Jericho had advanced too far to be ruled by any form of mandatory control, and the expectation that we would maintain it is one that would only hurt the citizens of the city. To my expectation, Markus was waiting directly off stage. He gave me a hug that was thick with affection.

"You did great," he whispered. He let go of me and I could see him beaming with a smile I could only describe as filled with pride. 

"Now its time to play damage control," He said, pointing to his crew of advisors behind him. Among them was Christen who stood slack jawed.

"I'm up for election? Everything is up for election?" She asked, her voice cracking.

"Christen, it's necessary for a true democracy," Markus nodded.

"Medical decisions should not be up for election!" She shouted. 

"Christen, this is a discussion we should have in my office," Markus explained. I turned to Megan.

"Did he not tell her? I thought I was the last to know," I mumbled.

"Charlotte! Did you know about this?" She yelled to me, with tears forming in her eyes.

"Christen, I was under the impression that everyone knew," I tried to clarify.

"She did know," Markus stated clearly and authoritatively. I had never seen Markus turn from his usual overly empathetic demeanor, but suddenly he commanded the entire room. "Christen. I told you. I told you quite clearly."

"You also said we could come to an ethical agreement!" She yelled.

"I said the the elections were going through, and you would be up for them as well."

"And I asked how could that be possible? How could that be serious?"

"Christen, I refuse to embarrass you in front of your colleagues. We need to go to my office," He groaned.

"I'm not allowing you to pigeonhole me into some sort of democratic show! You have confidence that you'll be reelected. You're a god to these people! I have always been nothing more than a nurse to them, and they will not hesitate to allow a less qualified individual to head their medical decisions!"

"Christen."

"No!"

"Christen," Markus boomed. Everyone looked down at their feet, except for Christen. "Go home."

Christen began to cry, and left from behind the stage.

"Advisors...I'll see you in my office for damage control in the next couple hours. Charlotte...why don't you head home too?" Markus asked, turning to me again.

"But why?" I asked quietly.

"Talk to Connor. Talk to Nick. Talk to everyone who can talk to Christen. I want her to be confident in herself...I think thats where this is really stemming from. If you can...try to talk to her yourself," Markus smiled. His empathetic smile and demeanor had returned. I sighed, and Markus hugged me once again.

"Go home," he whispered.