Chapter 36

I headed into the back hallway area where I used to live. Nick had emptied it nearly completely, I suppose in preparation for as the boys grow up (although they have quite a few empty rooms upstairs too). I went into the bathroom which now sat across from my previous room, and turned on the shower. I turned the temperature all the way up.

I dropped my clothes and folded them up on the sinks counter before climbing into the shower and letting the water rush over me. I washed away the dirt from the night before, and thought back to Nick. Nick, besides for myself, is the last person I can think of having a kid. Two? That's even crazier. And here he is, perfectly happy and content with them. Maybe Connor is onto something...

It doesn't matter anyway. Clearly, we have larger issues right now. Nick would kill me if I even dared to mention that whole thing.

The dirt had finally washed away, and I stepped out, drying myself off. I wrapped the robe around me and picked up my clothes, carrying them out with me.

"Oh, good. I'll go throw them in the wash," Nick said, taking the pile away from me quickly. I sat down on the sofa and let myself fall deep into the fabric. I let the cushions envelop me, and snuggled in for the moment. When Nick returned, I heard glass knocking in the kitchen and he returned with two mugs. He handed one to me, and sat down across from me. I looked into the cup and saw Nick's famous hot chocolate.

"What did you tell Gavin?" I asked, sipping the creamy drink. I don't really like chocolate, but I like the fact that Nick uses it as a way to comfort people...including himself.

"That this problem was going to require more than a warm bath and hugs," Nick shrugged. "How many times?"

"What?"

"How many times did you have sex with him?" Nick answered.

"Him? How heteronormative," I sighed.

"Yeah, no. Your nails are too long," Nick shook his head.

I furrowed my eyebrows thoroughly confused.

"Yeah, exactly my point. How many times, Charlotte?" Nick asked. Well...Nick must be super serious. I'm no longer Bolts and have taken on my real name.

"Once," I sighed. "Last night. We hooked up."

Nick sighed deeply and looked relieved. "That's not an affair, Bolts. It's cheating, and it's shitty...but it's not an affair."

"Oh," I sighed, sipping the cocoa.

"Have you told Connor?"

"I didn't sit out on your curb by choice."

"Uh...yes. Yes, you did. Even if he kicked you out, you had a choice where to go," Nick nodded. "Where's the Charlotte I used to know? Who took credit for all her actions?"

"She's still here. I admitted I had an affair, didn't I?" I asked, defensively.

"Cheated. And yeah, technically. After saying it wasn't real anyway. Which...I am not getting into yet."

"Yeah...I guess you're right. I don't know what's gotten into me," I sighed, sipping the cocoa.

"Who did you sleep with anyway?" Nick questioned.

"Uh...well...Ethan," I shrugged.

"Business and pleasure, Charlotte!" Nick immediately yelled. He calmed down quietly, and began whispering. "Business and pleasure..."

I took a deep breath and nodded.

"Like oil and water. They do not mix," Nick sighed. "Well the deed is done and now we've got that problem to handle. But on the bright side, you've got your partner back."