Chapter 28

"How do you know who Christen is?" I asked suddenly, as we drove around Jericho. You have to make practically a full circle around Jericho to get to Kamski's without traffic.

"She's Dr. Christen Lance, co-founder of Cyberlife. Nick Lance was your partner. The connections just made sense," Ethan shrugged.

"I suppose," I nodded.

"I can't be the only one who really just hates Jericho, right?" Ethan asked leaning his head against the window.

"Yeah, it's not really my style either."

"Is that why Connor and you don't live there?" Ethan questioned.

I shrugged. "I guess not. I think it's mostly just because Connor chose the apartment and I just really moved in."

"He chose the apartment? Why?" Ethan asked.

"I didn't really want to move or anything. I was pretty satisfied with everything staying the way it had always been. So, Connor took it upon himself to take everything he knew about me and choose a place. It worked out well. I love our place," I smiled.

"But you were happy. Satisfied. He shouldn't have messed with that, don't you think?" Ethan offered.

"Not...no, not really. It wouldn't have stayed for very long. Nick was already with Gavin, and everything. They would've gotten married and move in together. Would've been a mess."

"But...that's your prerogative, isn't it?" Ethan asked.

"I guess," I shrugged. I didn't care much to think about it all. "Do you have a problem with Connor?"

"Well, he didn't exactly give me the friendliest greeting. I get irritated when people get jealous and I haven't even done anything," Ethan sighed.

I nodded. I suppose that's true. He hasn't really done anything. People have just taken it upon themselves to decide he's out for something. Hell, even I have. I've decided that above all else, he wants me. That's absurd. He's just a lonely guy, looking for friends. I mean, it's hard out here...

"That's fair," I sighed. "I'm sorry everything has been like this."

Ethan shrugged. "I'm kind of used to it. Not to be cocky, but I'm attractive, and some people get automatically wary of me because of that, especially around their spouses. I just thought Detroit would be different. With so many androids around, you would think people wouldn't be so wary of people leaving their spouses for the 'perfect guy.' Like, I thought people would just be like 'he's a normal guy, doing normal things.' Even Connor and you, acted like I was here to get you."

"And I'm sorry. I'm sorry about that, okay? You can't blame Connor though. He's had a lot of stress. Blame me, because I never assured or helped him."

"That's not your responsibility."

"I'm his wife, we have an obligation to support each other."

"Yes. But shouldn't it be balanced? If you're supporting him, shouldn't he be supporting you equally? He should be helping you solve your case, and everything."

"He asks if he can and I say no."

"If he were truly supportive. He would do it without even asking. He's not though."

"I guess, Ethan." I didn't want to say something else, and look like I was accusing him of still trying to break us up. I just fell silent. Ethan clearly doesn't know how to communicate his feelings well, which is how everyone ends up misinterpreting him.

Ethan just doesn't understand Connor and I. Connor pushes me out of my comfort zone enough to know that in some places, I definitely just need my full independence. Work is one of those places I need to be completely on my own (well, as much as one can be as a detective in a police force). At home though, I can be with him like a couple. We can take care of the dogs, read books, and do whatever else it is that couples do. We understand each other, and what both of us need. I'd say, I need far more than Connor does, ever. If our relationship is unbalanced, it's tipped in my favor.

We pulled up to Kamski's house and I got mentally prepared for the reality. I had no idea if Christen would be inside, or if it would just be Kamski. Would Margot or Fiona be home? Either of them would be good enough.

I sighed and turned to Ethan.

"Are you ready for this?" Ethan asked, putting his hand on my shoulder.

"I think so. I think I can do this," I nodded.

"Let me know if you need anything," he answered stepping out of the car. I wrapped my fingers around the steering wheel momentarily. I must admit, his car did feel awfully good to drive. I'll have to give him that. It's a smooth ride, without much tension anywhere. It's fast too. Not to mention, it looks cool as hell. I stepped out of the car too, ignoring everything inside of me screaming to run.