Chapter 30

Christen put the tea kettle on the stove and turned on the burner. I sat down at the breakfast bar and watched her.

"So, how is it going?"

"Fine," I sighed.

"That's it? Just fine? Nothing going on?"

"Of course something is going on. Something is always going on," I answered. Christen sighed.

"Well...you can talk to me about it."

"I'd rather not," I answered. "The tea is a big deal, I think."

"Is it? That's...odd for you," Christen answered. 

"It's not. Things have changed. That's okay," I explained.

"It's not that change is bad, it's just bad when you don't react well to change."

"I think I react great to change," I nodded.

"Don't we all?" Christen answered sarcastically. The tea kettle began to whistle, and Christen took it off. She took down to small cups from the cabinet and poured two cups of hot water. She placed a tea bag in each cup and sat one near me.

"It has to steep. You know, it's alright to miss Nick. I think we all do," Christen nodded.

"Of course I miss him. It's not the end of the world though," I shrugged.

"It doesn't have to be. But it's okay to admit that he balances everything out. It's okay to admit that. He has a talent that whenever he's there you question why he has to be, but the moment that he's gone, you miss him. He's just like that."

"Yes, he is," I sighed.

She handed me the teacup. I took a sip. Hmm, peppermint. Peppermint with floral hints. 

"Oh, this is quite good," I nodded.

"Isn't it? It's a Christmas tea, so I buy it out during December, so I can have it for the rest of the year," Christen chuckled. "But anyway. You had some questions for me?"

"Yes. I need all of the records for the RK development. Everything. Every single note," I answered.

"Through? Through what model?" Christen questioned.

"Everything. Every single thing."

"I don't know...I don't know if you would like that."

"I don't mean to be rude, Christen, but if you didn't hand it over, I would just get a warrant," I sighed.

"Did I tell you about the one time Nick had to warrant me?" Christen asked.

"What?" I was shocked. Nick never seemed like the type. I'm the type to not mind getting at least a little dirty. Nick is a little bit more 'family-oriented.' I think Christen could very well kill someone and Nick would try and get her out of it. Him using a warrant against her absolutely shocks me.

"Nick needed the chemical formula of blue blood for toxicology on an overdose victim. This was way back. Way back when he first became a detective, and I was still at Cyberlife. We weren't really talking, because you know...our parents hate me. Anyway, I told him no. It is a trade secret after all, and not to mention, we didn't want it getting out because of the whole red ice problem. Elijah would've killed me, not to mention it. So he warranted me. Police force ransacked my office, while the whole time Nick mouthed 'sorry' at me. We started speaking after that," Christen shrugged. She smiled like it was a good memory, and not a bad one. "Anyway, that being said, I would rather not do that. I'll give you a memory stick with all of the data on it. You just have to make me a promise."

"What's that?"

"If you find something, that you don't like, that you don't lose your mind and freak out. I'll need you to stay calm. Call me. And trust me, above all else," Christen nodded.

"What's in there?" I asked, suspicious, obviously.

"Nothing terrible. Just...trust me. It's better that way," Christen nodded. "Your other question?"

"Did you ever know someone named Asher Kam?"

"Not outside of Nick and you discussing your case," Christen answered. 

"Never notice an android hanging around too much?" I questioned.

"No," Christen sighed. 

I nodded and sipped my tea. "That's all, I suppose," I shrugged. Christen nodded, sipping her own tea. 

"Let me go make that flash drive," She smiled, heading back to the office. 

"Take your time," I nodded. I sat at the counter, waiting patiently, sipping the tea. I began to wonder what Ethan was doing. We hadn't exactly walked in with a plan, but he must've thought of something. He's rather clever, I'll give him that. Awfully clever. Too clever for his own good, I have to say. 

I sighed and waited patiently.

~

Remember how I said there wouldn't be another break until I went back to school?

That was a lie, but a lie by accident.

I ended up in the hospital after a minor accident the other day. I need a break from writing for at least a couple of days. I'm sorry. I have no idea how long it will take me to recover enough to get back into the swing of things. 

I'm sorry guys, but this will be the last chapter for a minute, then I'll come back with some chapters. 

- Andrea