Chapter 49

"Inside or outside? Were those inside or outside?" Nick asked jumping out of the car.

Evaluating acoustics...

"Inside, inside!" I said, racing towards the building. I scanned for broken windows and any clues as to what floor it came from. All I knew is that it came from a lower floor, not a higher one.

"Cover and check, Charlotte! Cover and check!"

We took the entrance slow, rounding our blind corners quickly. We had to evaluate instantly, but I was struck by the emptiness of the building.

"Why is it so empty in here?" I asked Nick.

"It's the Monday after Easter. The only people here are the ones with cases tomorrow."

"What floor is the prosecutor on?" I asked.

"Third," Nick said. He took out his walkie-talkie. "Lance, calling for backup. Gunshots fired at the Justice Building. Unknown suspect and unknown location."

"I'm going for the third floor," I told Nick, approaching the stairs. He grabbed my shoulder.

"Charlotte there are two of us, and an unknown suspect. We can't just go by ourselves. It would be dangerous."

"My husband is up there, and he would do the same for me."

"You are a civilian right now. I cannot let you go up there. No way."

"If I'm a civilian, you can't stop me."

"I could arrest you," Nick said. "I would do it. No second thoughts. If Connor is hurt, there is no way he would let me have you get hurt too."

"Nick," I said swatting his hand off of my shoulder. "I can't wait for backup to arrive. I can't wait for them to get the confidence to rush in here."

Sirens wailed in the distance. Nick looked at me and shook his head. "You're so stubborn. Well...Charlotte. You are my best friend, and as a civilian, I have the duty to protect and serve you. Lead the way," He sighed.

We headed up the stairs slowly but surely, checking everywhere. We approached the third floor, and I swung open the door, quickly shutting it behind me, and locking it. Nick looked through the glass.

"What the hell, Charlotte?"

"I'm not letting you get hurt. This is my idiocy. Wait for backup," I said through the door. Nick shook his head and threw his hands up in the air as he ran downstairs. I unlocked the door again.

I walked down the hall slowly, looking for any signs of a gunman. I saw the prosecutors office, and approached. I slowly opened the door, and saw no one. Papers were strewn across the office, and no one was here.

Another gunshot rang through the building, but this time, it was clear I was on the right floor. I was in the right place. I walked towards the back of the office, and saw the lights on in the conference room.

Connor. Please tell me you're okay. I called through our connection. I felt like crying when I didn't hear a response.

Connor? Please? I begged. I stood there, shaking as I considered the possibilities.

I'm okay. 8 hostages including me. We've got one dead, but no other injuries. The gunman is Ethan, but he hasn't said a word. I don't know his motive.

I sighed deeply.

What happened? I need details.

I walked in with the file, and Ethan was here. I think he must be working with the Feds to get the case back from Jericho. Suddenly he just grabbed the gun out of security guards belt and shot him. He didn't even see me until he dragged us all into the conference room, and when he did he just said "At least I have leverage." He hasn't said anything since.

Okay. I'm going to head downstairs now, keep in contact with me.

You know I won't be able to talk with you silently once you get down there. My communications aren't that advanced...you'll be too far.

I took a deep breath and prepared my response.

You just be careful. And try and pull something out of him in the meantime, alright?

Got it.

I raced downstairs and exited out the main door where I saw a SWAT team and dozens of squad cars. More were approaching. Nick was talking with the Captain and I walked up to him.

"Charlotte Anderson. You are on suspension and if you don't get behind that front line you are-"

"Respectfully, Captain, there are larger issues at hand, and the only individual who can contact one of the hostages and knows what's going on in there, is me. So I recommend that you take me off of administrative leave right now for emergency duty, so that we can prevent the death of these individuals."

"There are hostages?" the Captain asked.

"Case in point, hand me that microphone before we lose anymore valuable time."

The Captain handed me his squad car's microphone so I could talk to the force.

"We have 8 hostages, one of whom is a Detroit PD officer. They are located on the 3rd floor, Office E conference room. There is one dead and no further injuries. The suspect is Morgan, also known as Ethan Brant. There is no known motive at this time. We have to be careful since there is only one entrance and one exit besides windows."

I handed the microphone back to the Captain. "Is there a negotiator on site?" I asked the Captain.

"I can phone one in," he responded taking out the walkie.

"Dispatch, call for Officer Connor Ande-"

"Cancel that request," I ordered.

"Charlotte, there is a responsibility first to help those people, not save your husband."

"Captain, the officer inside is Connor."

"Nick, maybe lead with that," The captain said turning to him.

"We don't have another one?" I asked.

"There's not usually two hostage situations at a time," the Captain answered.

"Federal negotiator?" I asked.

"Well..." Nick stuttered.

"Let me guess he's inside too?" I asked.

"I think he was working out of this office," Nick answered.

"Someone call and verify, alright?" I told him. He nodded and headed off.

"Captain, Ethan Brant is an Android. We'll need an android expert on the scene. Christen Lance and Elijah Kamski, please," I told the Captain.

"I'll call it in," he answered grabbing the walkie talkie again.

Nick came back and was nodding. "The federal negotiator is in there. Any way they can work it from the inside?"

"I'll have to check with Connor," I answered.

"Can't you uhh..." Nick said tapping the side of his head.

"Connor can't communicate from this distance. Not without speaking out loud at least. I can communicate with him if I'm in the office though."

"Then we need to get you in there. We need eyes inside," Nick said.

"Officer Lance! Officer Anderson!" We heard a voice call. I turned around to see a reporter calling for us.

"Oh, great," I sighed. Nick jumped on top of the squad car and looked around.

"Seems like there's more of them coming. TV crews and all," Nick said jumping off the car.

"Great, this is all I needed now. I need someone to come up with me then, so I can still talk to you all out here. I don't want to risk anything," I answered him.

"I'll see who I can find," Nick said running off.

This is going just great.