Chapter 15

"Connor, wake up!" I announced, jumping up bright and early at 2:30am. "We can't be late!"

"First of all, you were the one who was sleeping...not me. Second of all, we won't be late. Nick said to be there by...Oh God! We're going to be late!"

"Exactly!" I answered. I quickly threw on a sweater and jeans, watching as Connor followed.

"But maybe...you wouldn't mind telling me...why are we heading to Nick's right now?"

"Listen, if I had to learn the Lance family traditions by surprise, you do too!" I explained.

"Oh fine," Connor said. We left out of the apartment quickly, heading down to take our very rarely used car to Nick's house. As soon as we pulled up, Nick rushed out in just his pajama pants and a white top. Christen's car was already in the driveway, as was a fancy white car. I could see lights on in Nick's rebuilt garage. I cringed thinking about Nick's poor 2004 car.

"It's really good that everyone's elected to get hitched because that means we have a ton of help this year, Charlotte," Nick called, as he rushed over.

"Even Gavin's here?" I asked.

"It wouldn't be a family tradition if he wasn't," Nick shrugged. We headed into the house where Margot was laid on the couch sleep, petting Gavin's cat Lilac. Nick gently touched her leg where the scars were from her surgery. I had barely seen Margot since the surgery, so seeing her healthy was...exciting. Nick smiled at me knowingly. We set everyone's gifts under the tree.

"Everyone is out in the garage. They're grabbing each of their stations," Nick explained.

"Stations?" Connor asked confused.

"Oh yeah, boy wonder. Charlotte here is my right-hand gal, so she's going to help me lead the charge. So why don't you head out and help Gavin grab potatoes?"

"Potatoes? Gavin? I'm not working with Gavin," Connor announced.

"Aw but why? Fun team building activity," Nick said grabbing my arm as if telling me not to intervene.

"Because Gavin tried to kill me and Charlotte in cold blood while we solved a case!" Connor announced.

"Hey, but I'm cool with Gavin," I shrugged. Nick squeezed my arm but then rolled his eyes as if accepting my interference.

"Well...if you're fine with him...then I guess we'll partner up," Connor sighed. "But get me a drink first."

Nick turned to me, as if in shock. Unbeknownst to Connor, Nick and I had extensively planned for Gavin and Connor to partner up today. Nick assured me he could handle it, but I like to think we each know our husbands better than the other. Nick shrugged, and poured Connor eggnog and mixed it with whiskey.

"So, Nick. Why am I at your house at 3am?"

"Nuh-uh. Everyone learns by surprise," Nick shook his head. "And don't bother asking Gavin. He knows the rules too."

Connor groaned. Nick smirked. I watched as Connor took back the glass of eggnog, and then proceeded to just pour straight whiskey into the cup. He smashed that back too.

"Alright, and Gavin's in the garage?" Connor asked.

"Well yeah, but I'm sure with you taking back all of that they're heading back in at this point," Nick said a little shocked. Nick was right and we watched as people filtered in from the garage.

Fiona, still quiet and stoic. Christen still smart and happy. Gavin still irritable and naive. Suddenly, at the end, Elijah Kamski.

Connor and I froze in our tracks, absolutely dead. I turned to Nick.