Chapter 60

I hopped into my car. You see, one of the benefits of working for the government at a high level is that you need a car, and you can't ask to not have one. You have to have it. Thankfully, androids don't need drivers licenses. Just proof of insurance. Even better, it's driverless! Although...now that I think about it...it's all a bit redundant isn't it?

As I drove (got driven?) to his office I called Connor.

"Hey! I'm stopping by the office," I beamed.

"Oh, are you? I'll probably be in meetings with the deputy commissioners," he answered.

"That's okay then," I nodded. I changed the cars address. "How about family dinner tonight?"

"You, me, and Blue? We do that every night...minus the dinner part," He answered suspiciously.

"No! I mean, yes but also the Lances and Hank? Why not?" I smiled through the phone.

"Okay, stop being fake, what's really up?" Connor questioned. Damn you, marriage! Always letting my husband know everything about me!

"Christen is a bit upset because she didn't think Markus would put her position up for election. I just wanna cheer her up, and what will make her happier than a family dinner?" I asked.

Connor sighed. "Just start with that next time. Do you want me to stop for drinks?" He asked.

"Plenty. And like...kids food."

"God bless the store clerk checking me out wine and chicken nuggets."

"You don't even believe in God. You're an android," I chuckled.

"Cyberlife bless? It doesn't work. I'll see you soon though. Have fun...cooking or something?"

"Yeah something like that. I love you."

"I love you too."

~

Hi guys! Family dinner tonight at six, bring the kids, significant others, and dogs.

- C.

I mulled over the message with a cup of tea before finally electing to just hit send to the large group chat. I couldn't help but hate it though...it reads so...Mom? My phone instantly buzzed with a response.

Shut the fuck up, Bolts. You can't even eat.

- Nick

Wow.

jk lol. see u there.
- ur a cuck tho.

Aaaaaaalrighty then! Seems like it might be a success though. I counted the chairs around our rather large dining table and ensured that we had juuuuust enough. Just as I counted, my timer went off.

I headed to the kitchen and took out my splendid dinner. Perhaps no accomplishment for an android but to me, my dinner was certainly worth a Michelin Star. A gorgeous roasted chicken with vegetables. The potatoes on the stove were cooking nicely as well. I was quite proud!

Blueberry stared at me from outside the kitchen with intent eyes. She looked intent to pounce. I smirked and tossed her a piece of chicken. She caught it and sat to munch on it, satisfied. I heard the door swing open and happily walked out the kitchen to see Connor with 4 large grocery bags.

"Do not drop those!" I ordered. He looked at me with a slightly disappointed expression.

"Oh nooooo," He cried, feigning dropping the bags several times. "My code is failing."

I rolled my eyes and walked over, grabbing the bags from his hands.

"Thanks," I sighed.

"Don't drop them," he snarled back. I giggled and took them to the kitchen while he followed. I handed him each bottle of wine while he sat them on the table in a straight line. As he finished, I popped the nuggets and mac and cheese he bought in the oven.

"Help me set up the table?" I asked.

"Of course," He answered. He grabbed the chicken while I set the plate of potatoes.

After we finished setting up, I smiled upon our work.

"Well done," I cheered.

"She does not look impressed," Connor said gesturing to Blueberry, who was drooling staring at the food.

"She'll be fine when Kyle shows up," I giggled. Connor grabbed a piece of chicken anyway and tossed it towards her. She practically smiled.

"I already gave her one!"

"I know," Connor shrugged. "She deserves it though."

Connor reached his arm around my waist and planted a kiss on my lips.

"Chocolate?" I questioned.

"You send me to the grocery, you know what's going to happen," he said, gently tapping my head. I chuckled as he swung me back and forth slightly. He came in again and I pushed back.

"I hate chocolate," I sighed.

"Not enough!" He called, coming in again. I accepted it begrudgingly.

My phone finally rang with the first person to show up.

"Saved by the bell," I proclaimed. He chuckled.

I buzzed them in and then quickly we were greeted by a knock and scratch at the door. Blueberry raced towards the door with instant recognition. I chuckled and swung open the door to reveal the Lance clan.

Enter Nick, Gavin, Ahmed, Hamza, and Kyle. Quite the party.

"Yeeeeeeeeah! Auntie Lottie!" Hamza cheered. Ahmed and Hamza wrapped themselves around my legs and smiled.

"When did I become Lottie?" I jokingly asked Nick.

"When you decided not to let me wife you up," Nick shook his head. Kyle burst past Gavin and ran towards Blueberry who was already grabbing her favorite toy to share.

"LOTTIE! LOTTIE!" Hamza yelled. Ahmed looked up at me with darling eyes. I gently leaned down and picked them up.

"You guys are so big now! I can barely hold you," I called out, shuffling dramatically through the apartment, as they both cheered incessantly.

"You guys remember Connor don't you?"

"Con-artist! That's what daddy calls you!" Ahmed cheered.

Connor raised his eyebrows and without thought looked at Gavin.

"Listen, we don't get along!" Gavin yelled.

Connor rolled his eyes, but didn't catch Nick thumping Gavin's head.

"Well, let's go sit down for dinner before we see anything dramatic," I said carrying them towards two seats. I set them down and instantly realized they were still far too many inches too short to sit properly at the adults table. "Stay here."

I went and grabbed four small throw pillows from the bedroom and lifted each of the boys once to place two of them on each of their seats. They sat pretty well!

"Now just be careful," I warned. The twins looked at each other with suspect eyes.

"Do I have to strap you two in? Y'know Aunt Lottie is an android right? She has super speed! Don't act up," I warned. As the boys settled down, I overheard the conversation Connor was having with Nick.

"She would make a great mom, wouldn't she?" Connor said.

"And, Aunt Lottie has super hearing!" I yelled.

Connor cleared his throat as I turned around and walked towards them. "I was just saying," he groaned.

"And I was just agreeing," Nick shrugged.

"And I was just babysitting," I sighed.