Chapter 27

Ethan leaned on my desk as he spoke to me.

"What is Nick and you's history?" He asked, shifting his weight.

"Are you asking to flirt with me, or are you asking for the case?" I asked smirking.

"Both," he smiled back.

"I feel like you know it all. Unpacks me. We solve a case. Run into Connor and Hank a lot. He takes me in. Revolution. Coma. Christmas. A dog. More cases. Two weddings. No funerals. Christmas again. Another dog. Twin boys. Here we are."

"Did you just sparknote your entire existence?"

"Well...my relationship with Nick. Although for like a full month, he was my existence. He's...my best friend, really."

"Tell me about your first case," Ethan asked.

"It was nothing. We went to a house after a murder, found drugs, and went looking for the supplier. We found said supplier in bed with several androids and it made everyone uncomfortable," I shrugged.

"That's it? No high speed chase? No weird people?"

"Nothing like that, at all," I answered.

"Any cases like that?"

"None that we worked on anyway. When the advanced model of me was searching for me, she found me at Nick's house, and burned down his garage...and his car."

"Any way she would know Asher Kam?"

"We would have to ask her," I answered. "But she's been locked in. Christen hasn't been able to deviate her, so I think she's been...well...dumbed down. Remember how Connor was not too long ago? When Asher got to him?"

"Yeah."

"She's like that now. I don't even know if she has memories," I explained. Ethan sighed and nodded.

"Do you think she's worth a shot?" Ethan asked.

"Hmm...Yeah. Until we can get a hold of Nick anyway," I nodded.

"Then lets go. Where does Christen live?" Ethan asked.

I had to think about it for a second. Nick had bought her the house. She rents it out now. She had moved in with Elijah Kamski now. Her, Margot, and Fiona, all at his shitty bachelor pad. I'm not surprised though. Christen has always felt a responsibility to him. They dated back in college, broke up, but remained extremely close friends. That's how she ended up as a Cyberlife founder. He trusted her. She trusted him. Things might've gone haywire, and she might've wanted to act like she disliked him. In her heart though, she still loved him. She still trusted him. I don't know if they're formally 'dating' right now, but he's being a father to Margot, and a damn good friend to Christen. For that matter, Christen is being a damn good friend to him. It speaks a lot that she isn't insanely close with Nick anymore.

Christen and Nick are still close but not "if my brother and I spend the rest of our life together with neither of us ever falling in love again, that's okay" close. It wouldn't have worked anyway, with Gavin in the picture.

Christen and Nick were mutually reliant on one another. Now Christen has Kamski, and Nick has Gavin. That's okay for them. Just like it should be.

Nick only worries about his parents now. He's barely spoken to them in the past year. He doesn't like them anyway, since they practically abandoned Christen after she Cyberlife got big, but he still worries and cares about them. His father was sick, the last time he told me about them.

I sighed, all of these thoughts moving rather quickly through my head and looked at Ethan.

"Do you know where Elijah Kamski lives?" I asked.

"No? Wait. Christen is with Kamski?" Ethan asked.

"Yep. It's alright. I remember. But you'll have to let me drive."

"You've been there before?"

"Of course," I shrugged.

"Feel free to drive," he chuckled, throwing me the keys.