Chapter 14: Into The Garden

“Mel open up.” I called bashing on the large mahogany door just off the main road in Taigha. Mel’s place was our first stop yet my team already seemed anxious and tired. They sat around at the top of the steps waiting for me. When Mel answered the door he had a happy gleam in his eyes that told me he just made a new find. “Wow you haven’t changed a bit..” I said, taking in his disheveled blond hair and crazy eyes. I didn’t matter how many times I talked to him, he was still an alarming sight at first. He gave me a crocked smile of joy,

   “Doctor! What brings you to my door?” He asked.

   “We’re looking for someone.” I said, jerking my head back to my group. “You and your boy are always milling around the human population here so I was wondering if you may have seen a girl running around.” He was thoughtful and serious for a moment.

   “What does she look like?” He asked hesitantly.

   “Strawberry blond hair, blue eyes..” I said,

   “Skinny as a skeleton, flat chest, tiny little thing...” Lexi chirped in, I turned and glared at her making her stop instantly. 

   “Come on in everyone.” He said, pushing the door open for us and walking back. We filed in and closed the door behind us and followed him down the hall and he led us into the large glass dome that he used as his sculpture garden. 

   My group gasped as we got closer to a very life like sculpture and they realized it was a real person. The thing about Mel was that yes, he thinks humans should be held in high regards as the thing that sustains many lives but he has a cooky way of showing his support and “worshiping” them. 

   “Oh god.” Lexi gasped, looking up at a man who had been painted to match white stone and posed looking out over the garden. “I think I’m going to be sick, is he dead?”

   “No, none of them are!” Mel gasped in offense, “How could anyone kill such beautiful, life giving creatures!?”

   “If you like humans so much then how can you impression them here as statues for your own entertainment?” Simon asked in slight disgust. 

   “Because they’re beautiful art and should be preserved as so instead of treated like slaves.” He said with a pout, looking away sharply. I sighed, done with being here already,

   “This isn’t why we are here Mel, do you know where the girl is or not? Because if you don’t we need to get going, we’re wasting time.” The others nodded, happy to be getting a way out of this horrible garden.

   “Strawberry blond with blue eyes, strawberry blond with blue eyes...” He mutter crazily, flitting away from our group and down another path. 

   “Mel!” I yelled angrily after him, we followed him down the path where he had stopped to think again. “If you made my mate into a statue I’m kicking your ass.” I growled, he looked at me with wide but still uncaring eyes. This guy was way to crazy at this point to care about threats by anyone.

   “I don’t know if she is here...” He said finally, holding his chin thoughtfully, “But if you want her you have to find her!” He said playfully then running off. We stood in the middle of the path confused and unsure about what just happened. 

   “I’m not walking through this creep’s garden.” Lexi protested with a pout.

   “Yeah well we didn’t ask for you to come, you volunteered so get looking.” I said, picking a path and beginning to walk it. “Everyone split up, keep your radios on and if you see anything let us know right away.” I instructed. Lexi came running up behind me and walked with me. “I said everyone split up.” annoyance was starting to creep in. “Why the hell did you want to come anyways?” I said, turning sharply to her with a mean gaze. She jumped and looked scared,