16. Park Days

Shooting up in a cold sweat, Lynne huffed and breathed in heavily. She looked around the room, not recognizing the dorm until her vision finally focused enough.

Rubbing her head from the pounding migraine, she slowly sat up to be greeted by light eyes.

"Holy sh-" she jumped and yelped, then recognized the boy as Abel. "Jesus.. you scared me," She said softly and pulled the boy into her arms as he started to frown.

"Sorry." The young boy mumbled and rested his head on her shoulder, nuzzling against her and wrapping his arms around her.

"It's okay, Abel." Lynne spoke up and ran a hand through her hair, as she held him. She kissed the top of his head and then closed her eyes for a few moments, before slowly pulling away. "You hungry?" She asked softly.

Greeted with a nod, she shifted him so he'd be on her hip and slowly stood up. She watched as Abel laid his head back down on her shoulder. Lynne couldn't hold back the smile that spread across her face.

"What do you want? Pancakes?" She asked, giving him a small smile as she bounced him. Walking towards the kitchen, she looked over at Abel, watching him as he thought intently.

"French toast!" He exclaimed, looking up at Lynne with a wide smile.

"French toast!" She responded, giving him the same mirrored smile as she set him down on the counter. "Are you going to help me?" She asked, then smiled as Abel cheered in response.

Lynne bent down and grabbed a pan from the drawer under the oven, then stood back up and set it on the stove. She reached for a plastic bowl and ran her hand over the bright covering, then handed it over to Abel. "You're going to mix, okay?" She said and then smiled, as he nodded.

"Okay!" He spoke, graciously accepting the bowl.

"Perfect." She said softly and sauntered over to the fridge, pulling out the eggs, milk and butter. She set the items down on the counter then grabbed the bread, followed by cinnamon and vanilla extract, then she grabbed all the ingredients and walked back over to Abel.

"I'm going to get you a chair, okay?" She said softly and turned around, grabbing a chair from the table. She brought it back to Abel and helped him down onto it, then pushed it into the counter.

She watched as Abel put the bowl up on the counter, then she smiled and added some milk into the bowl, two eggs and then the vanilla and cinnamon. Handing Abel a fork, she smiled and placed her other hand on the bowl so he wouldn't drop it.

"Awesome job," She said softly as he mixed up the ingredients. Lynne slowly let go and opened the butter container, adding a small teaspoon to the pan. Turning on the stove, she smiled and opened the bag of bread. "Thank you." She spoke as he slid the bowl over to her.

"I go watch movie?" Abel asked, looking up at Lynne as he slowly slid off the chair.

Lynne nodded, "Yeah. Let's go get one started for you while I'm making breakfast." She smiled and took his hand as he led her into the living room and plopped on the floor. Lynne grabbed the remote and turned on the TV, quickly finding a remote and making sure he was okay before returning to the kitchen to finish cooking.

. . .

"Can you put it in the dishwasher for me?" Lynne asked Abel as he sauntered up to her with his cleared plate.

"Yeah." Abel responded and treaded over to the dishwasher, opening it and pulling out the bottom drawer. He put the plate in, followed by his fork, then closed it up.

"Thank you." Lynne said softly and gave him a smile, then looked over at Thomas, who was in the doorway of the kitchen in his swing. "Do you want to go play at the park, Abel?" She spoke up and then looked back over at Abel.

"Yeah!" He cheered, "I wanna go on the swing!" He said with a wide grin.

"Perfect. Let's get you and your brother changed then!" Lynne smiled and watched as Abel ran towards his room.

Turning off the swing, she looked down at Thomas who cooed happily and tossed his legs around. Lynne smiled and unbuckled the belt, then gently lifted him up and out of the swing, before following Abel to his room.

Lynne opened the door wider and stepped in, walking over to Abel's closet. She pulls out a gray teeshirt and a pair of black shorts, as well as a pull up and a pair of socks. She walked over to the bed and set Thomas down, putting a pillow on both sides , in case he rolled.

Lynne stood up as Abel walked over to her and watched him start to pull off his shirt, before he started to struggle. Lynne quickly helped him pull it off, then slid his new shirt on him, before pulling off his pajama pants and diaper to put on his pull-up. "Step through." She reminds him and holds the pull-up by his feet, then helps him slide it up and on after he steps in. "Good job."

Abel took his shirts and slid them on, then looked over at his brother who started to whine.

Lynne sighed softly, "I think it's time for a diaper change, Tom!" She teased and tickled his feet as she stood up off of the floor. Listening to the small giggle that left Thomas' throat, she smiled and scooped him up into her arms. "Go find yourself some shoes.. I'll be right back." She spoke to Abel, then left the room and went into Thomas' nursery.

"Let's get you changed, buddy." She smiled as she set Thomas down on the changing table, then grabbed a diaper, wipes, baby powder and bottom paste. Lynne unbuttoned Thomas' onesie and pulled it up, slowly unstrapping his diaper and started to clean him up. Once he was all clean, she wrapped up the diaper and threw it in the trash next to her, then strapped him into the clean diaper. "Are you happy now?" She smiled and leaned down, ticking his stomach, which earned her a few giggles. "You're so happy!" She cooed and kissed his head, then opened the drawer under the changing table and grabbed a new shirt and shorts.

Lynne slid the dark blue shorts on Thomas, then lifted him slightly to get them fully in before putting the light blue dinosaur shirt on.

"Come on! Let's go!"

Lynne heard Abel yelling from the living room, making her laugh and grin as she lifted up Thomas off of the changing table.