Chapter 31 - Historia

A/N:  Song inspired for this chapter: Wind Beneath My Wings by Bette Midler. This song is beautiful, and I think it fits Historia and Levi so well. 

I don't move a muscle as the captain lies on top of me, enveloping me in his warmth. His heart bangs against my ribcage, beating in perfect rhythm with my own, and I could stay like this forever.

I've never felt so alive with him lying so close to me, his warm, masculine scent filling my nose. He smells like fire and wood with a strong hint of soap, and I breathe him all in, never wanting to part from him again.

I will never let him go.

His face is inches from mine as we both stare up at Mikasa. She hovers above us so beautifully strong, and once again I am in awe of her.

"M-Mikasa!" I cry, my voice childish.

It's not the first time she's saved my life after all, and I'm grateful towards her once again.

There was no one else who could protect us from that oncoming arrow. Well, no one apart from the captain, who's currently hurt.

The captain!

I reach up, feeling that warm liquid where that awful arrow punctured his arm, and my hand trembles.

It's... it's blood... Levi's blood and I choke.

He really is hurt.

"C-Captain... your arm..."

Before he has time to respond, another arrow releases from the forest from a different angle, and the captain throws my head back. "Get down!"

Mikasa blocks the arrow once again, and now I gaze up into those inflamed grey eyes of Levi's. Although he doesn't show it, I can tell he's in severe pain. He grits his teeth as sweat drips from his forehead, yet he still finds the strength to speak.

"I... I don't know if you've noticed, Your Majesty, but we're currently under attack. Lay low."

"B-but your arm..." I whimper.

Levi's hardened orbs melt at the sound of my soft, tender voice, and I see the love taking over his eyes — a love for me. As he told me so himself.

Not that he needs to tell me; his actions speak louder than his words.

He had taken an arrow for me... No one has ever taken an arrow for me. The only other person who sacrificed their own safety for my wellbeing was Ymir, God rest her soul.

Not many people have loved me enough to do such a selfless act for me, and once again I'm overwhelmed.

But I still don't deserve it. I'm the bastard daughter born of a rich lord after all; I will never see myself any other way.

The tears flood my eyes, and Levi wraps his hands around my face. "Hey... it's all right," he whispers, his voice surprisingly gentle. "Don't cry... I'll be fine. I promised you, remember? I won't leave you again."

I squeeze my eyelids, letting the tears fall now. They drip over his hands.

The captain keeps his warm palms around my cheeks as I nestle into his touch.

Next, he addresses Mikasa, and his voice is cold and authoritative once more. "Any idea on the shooter's location?"

The girl's face remains strong as her gaze flickers around the forest. "No. Whoever they are, they're fast. But nowhere as fast as me."