Chapter 45

CHRIS

I was reading a book 'I Remember You' by Cathleen Davitt Bell that Grace fond of. Every single time I read this book, it reminded me of the first time we went out together and had dinner.

A few minutes later, I heard the sound of a car's engine stopped by my parent's house. I sneaked from the window to find out if someone was coming to either my house or my parent's. Surprisingly, it was Grace who exited the taxi. As far as I know, my mom didn't return yet from her office and Mary also went out for groceriea. However, she could enter the house with a bunch of keys that I didn't know where she got that. Maybe it was from mom.

I put the bookmark on the last page that I read and put the book on the table. I combed my hair because I thought I wanted to meet her and presented her with my neat look. I wanted to talk to her again. I fix my casual black sweatshirt. I put on a scent of fragrance too before I exited my bedroom.

Not long after that, there were two cars parked in front of my parent's house. I took a look from the window and I realized they were Carter and his companions. They walked towards my parent's house and slammed the door. My heart was beating faster and adrenaline rushed flowing through my vessels.

"Shit!" I ran towards the backyard and I hid behind the wall to estimate where they were. The moment I ran towards my parent's backyard, they were still wandering at the living room. I took out a key and I opened the door beside me which lead to dad's office. It was actually a secret corridor that was built by my dad to ease his caretaker's job because my dad loved to stay in his office.

I ran towards dad's office and I could hear that the door of the office was broken and opened by Carter. At this moment, I didn't have any ideas about Grace's whereabouts. I hope she was safe. I ran even faster towards the office and when I opened the door, there was a curtain. I flipped it and there was Grace. Right in front of me.

I pulled Grace into the corridor and covered her mouth with my palm instantly. I leaned her body against the wall and by looking at her facial expression, I could tell that she was so surprised and terrified. Her eyes met mine and she didn't even flinch. We were staring at each other for a few seconds. Her eyes then filled with tears and I closed the door beside her. Next, I uncovered her mouth and she still looked at me.

I pulled her hand and I brought her deeper into the corridor to eschew being discovered by Carter.

"Okay, Grace," I stopped and we stood in front of each other. "I know how much it hurts you when I betrayed you buy I need you listen and trust me, okay?" I demanded.

Tears running down her cheek as she looked at me. Afterwards, there is a sound of a gun shot from the office. "Chris..." she said helplessly.

"I promise, I'm gonna get you out of here, okay?" I told her and she nodded. "Alright? So just listen to me. You're gonna go straight away through this hallway and there will be two doors. One to the kitchen and one to the backyard, so choose the right one as it will lead you to the backyard. I have to go to find locked this hallway so Carter wouldn't find us."

"I wouldn't leave without you," she adjured.

"You have to, Grace! You have to!" I insisted. "Just walk inside these walls and let yourself free from them, okay? Hey! Hey!" She avoided to look at me. "You can do this," I told her and she nodded.

A second later, she ran through the hallway and I returned to office. I rushed to lock the hallway's door and I ran towards the backyard. To my surprise, as I opened the door towards the backyard, Carter was choking Grace's neck and leaned her against the wall.

"Grace..." I was stunned. I didn't know what to do.

"Ah... Chris!" Carter smirked. I looked at Grace's face, her face was so pale, her nerves arose on her forehead and she was struggling to let herself go from Carter.