Chapter 5

I sat alone at the library during lunch while trying to finish the assignments. It's not exactly lunch because it's already 1.30 pm. Anyway, after recess supposed to be Math class which is my favourite class but it is cancelled because Sir Andy was absent. So, I took this golden opportunity to finish my task.

"Hey, Katie!" Barbara whispered to me.

"Hey, what are you doing here?" I pointed to the empty seat beside me for her to sit.

"Are you free this weekend?" Barbara asked.

"I don't know, Barb. Is it about Helena's party?" I asked for confirmation.

She nodded. "Do you know why I'm so excited to go to her party?" She asked and I shook my head. "Do you know how rich her family is? This means we can drink pricey champagne, expensive meals whatsoever. Amazing isn't it?" She got excited that her volume increase over seconds. I calmed her down by patting her hand.

"Okay, okay. I will come. Cause I know three of you couldn't accept no as an answer," I replied.

"Yeayyy!!" Immediately, she hugged me. "See you this weekend, sunshine!" She kissed on my cheek before leaving. I just chuckled with her behaviour. Barbara is a loving, caring and kind person. But sometimes, she can be so mean if she hated someone so much. She is beautiful and gorgeous. On the dot too.

I continued with my work until I realized it is 3.00 pm. I had to look for Chris to get my bracelet back. My bracelet is so luxurious because it was the last thing my parents gave to me before they passed away. By hook or by crook I had to get it back.

I put my laptop, book and pencil case in my bag and I exited the library rapidly. At the hallway, a lot of students started to flood because it's time to go back home. And then, I met Taylor, one of my classmates.

"Katie!" Taylor said to me. He didn't know I was rushed because I wanted to go back early.

"Hi!" I replied with an insincere smile.

"Sir Andy asked me to give you this letter," he handed me a letter that was wrapped neatly.

"Letter?" I was confused but nevermind I just kept it in my bag.

"I heard about you yesterday, I hope you're fine!" Taylor said.

"Thank you, Taylor! I'm sorry I am rushing to meet someone. Sorry!" I ran towards the emergency stair and I climbed up to level 5 from level 1 and I had to admit it was too devastating.

As soon as I entered the basketball court, I gasped and I didn't even get the chance to rest, I could feel a ball was thrown towards me. I protected myself with my hand and turned to my left.

"Ahh!" I yelled. Wait... there's no feeling of pain at all. I turned to look at what happened in front of me, and Chris already smiled and winked at me because he had caught the ball.

"Miss Winter, I have already informed you that no foreigner can enter basketball court during the practice session," Coach Peter Traynor approached me after he blew the whistle.

"I'm sorry... I-" I stammered but was cut off by Chris.

"Peter, it's fine! I asked her to come here," Chris approached us.

CHRIS

I saw her entering the hall. She was so beautiful just the way she is. It's crazy how you didn't realize a gorgeous lady like Kate is actually your schoolmate until she was mentioned a few times by our Mathematics teacher and I started to find her. She wore a crop top denim jacket and a floral gown inside with tote bag on her right shoulder.

"Chris, ball!" Billy shouted. I saw the ball thrown towards her and she already covered her face with her hands which technically not a very effective solution for her, and I quickly ran towards the ball to catch it. As I caught the ball and stepped on the floor, I could feel she was looking at me, terrified, and I looked at her. Grab the opportunity, man! I smiled and winked at her because well, we were just a few inches away.

A few minutes later, Peter blew the whistle and stepped towards Kate.

"Peter, it's fine I asked her to come here," I interrupted and then I drank a bottle of cold water as I approached them.

"Your girlfriend, huh?" Peter taunted me by tapping on my shoulder before leaving us alone.

"Chris has a girlfriend! Chris has a girlfriend!" Being crackheads, my teammates cheered out loud.

"Don't bother with them. They're just joking," I brought her a little bit far from them because I realized that she felt uncomfortable. She nodded and follow me. I took her bracelet from my bag and I handed it to her.

"Thanks," her voice was slow and she put the bracelet on her left wrist.

"Okay," I replied as she already showed a sign to leave. She held her tote bag with her hand and turned to exit the entrance. I knew I wouldn't get a chance to talk with her anymore after this because we had no reason to.

I started to return to the court but then,

"I'm Katherine, you knew that already," she said. Mirthfully, I turned to look at her. I let out my hand for us to shake and surprisingly, she hold my hand too.

"I.. I'm Chris Daniels," I said joyfully. We pulled away from each other's hand. I could sense the vanilla scent from her. I looked at her tote bag, KGW was written. "KGW?" I asked.

She looked at her tote bag and then she looked at me. "It's my full name. Katherine Grace Winter. You can call me Katie," She said and then a beautiful smile was carved on her face.

"Why can't I call you Kate? Like Eleanor?" I asked, just curious.

"Kate is for someone that is closer to me. Diane and El can call me that. For acquaintances, friends, teachers and you, should call me Katie," she explained.

"What's your name again?"

"Katherine Grace Winter," she patiently answered.

"I will call you Grace."

Her mouth was widely open and then she laughed. "I don't really tell or expose my middle name to people, you know. There are only a few people who knew my middle name, so don't you dare call me that," she smiled.

I took my mouth to her ear and whispered, "let just take Grace into account and replace babe with Grace," I pulled away and I looked at her face and she was smiling.

"That sounds suspiciously like a confession," she exclaimed.

"You decide," I said.

"Well, actually," she fixed her bag on her shoulder. "I don't date with anyone anymore," she put her hair behind her ear.

"Give me an exception then," I said and smirked. I stepped closer to her slowly.

"If you really want us to be friends," she said while inhibited me to come closer to her by putting her palm on my chest. "Please keep our friendship between us, I didn't want to be involved with any guys during my senior year and,"

"And?"

"Prove to me that you're a good person," she stated her saying which give me a lot of surprises. "I know you, Chris. I was there when you mess with Sir Andy and you beat Gabriel until he was hospitalized," she gave me an intense look. "Not to mention, I was there when you were trying to book a courtesan," I gasped by the mention of the courtesan.

"I could do that if you agree to come out with me this Sunday, for dinner," I said.

"Okay," she replied and smiled.