Chapter 25

It was silent when I was busy preparing the slide for pre-presentation at the library. Several minutes later, Gabriel interrupted. "What's up, Katie?" He threw me a bottle of milk.

"What's this?" I asked as he took an empty seat beside me.

"As much as I love spending time learning Math with you, and I do. I love it, like, less than I love Barb but I figured out you are very excellent in differentiation and integration," he said. "What are you doing anyway?" He pointed at my laptop screen.

"Oh... I am preparing the PowerPoint slides for Sir Andre class. Pre-presentation," I answered and he nodded.

"Medusa? That's amazing," he exclaimed.

"Thanks," I said. "But this is not the actual topic for our presentation. I prepared it just in case Barbara changes her mind," I added and I licked my lips.

"Barbara will change her mind?" he asked.

"I hope," I exclaimed and smiled at him.

"So, here's the thing. I realized that I find it hard to understand and decipher the topic of differentiation, integration, probability and limits. And I know, you do understand and ace those topics. So, right now, as soon as you finish with your work, can you help me?" he asked.

I looked at him and smiled. "Yes," I answered.

Later, Gabriel and I were practising Mathematics at the library. He had been determined to excel his final exam result so he asked me to teach him after the school ended. So, I taught him regarding differentiation and integration because that was his weakest points.

"Thanks for sparing your time to teach me this topic over and over again. I swear if I passed my exam, I will treat you with a few movies," he smiled brightly and I chuckled. "Come on, what genre you fancy?" He asked.

"Um... Horror, thriller and action are my cups of tea," I answered.

"That's... really different from your personality," he said.

"What? Am I supposed to watch romance, teenage movies in order to indulge myself?" I asked.

He smirked. "Supposedly... yes," he said.

"Good. I don't want to fulfil anyone's expectation," I added.

He silent for a while. "Okay," he nodded. "I figured watching movies is one of the fun things that we could do that don't make us wanna kill ourselves, right?" He took out his notebooks and test pads from his bag.

"Yeah," I smiled. "Gabe, I want to check for another practice books at that aisle," I pointed out at the furthest aisle at the library.

He nodded and I instantly walked towards it. My eyes wandered through the shelf to find for a perfect book for Gabriel. Foundation of Math, Fermat's Last Theorem, Euclid's Elements and the list goes on. It was actually pretty difficult to find a practice book for Math at this library because a lot of students and teachers borrowed it.

Moments later, I heard a girl's voice. At the end of this aisle, there was a storeroom and the girl's voice came from there. I approached it slowly towards the door and I put my ears onto it to eavesdrop. The conversation was quite blurry, I just heard the girl was screaming. I felt nervous and goosebumps. Should I just open the door or leave it be?

After thinking for a while, I decided to open the door. To my surprise, it was Phoebe and Billy having sex. Three of us were stunned by my action and none of us actually said anything.

"Oh my God, I'm so sorry," I turned my back on them and closed the door. I heard a few steps approaching me from the storeroom and I paced faster to get out from the aisle.

"Katie," Phoebe called out my name while fixing her pants.

I turned my back to look at her and I approached her. "Phoebe, I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to do that. I thought there was an abuse that happened there or something," I explained.

"Shhh... it's okay. You didn't ruin the climax anyway," Phoebe laughed. "He's hot," Phoebe winked at me which made me laugh as well.

"So, is Billy the guy that you've been hanging out with? The one that Eleanor has mentioned before?" I smirked.

Phoebe laughed. "Gosh, no!!! He's not that hot," she laughed again.

"Then... who is it?" I raised my eyebrows.

"Promise me, you will keep this as a secret," Phoebe said.

"Okay," I said.

"I will tell you just because you witness an inappropriate scene just now so I feel bad if you don't know the actual guy," she inhaled a deep breath afterwards. "The guy that I've been hanging around with this entire time is actually Chris."

I didn't show any reaction, I was stunned by the mention of Chris. "Who?" I asked her to repeat the name again so I didn't mishear.

"Chris Daniels." My heart was shattered. "I don't know if you actually recognize him. He is one year older than us. He is an ace in basketball, Coach Peter's favourite player," her explanation was quite blurry and I couldn't really hear any because I was busy to decipher everything.

"How long have you two been together?" I asked, hiding my emotions and I smiled ruefully.

"I think it's been a year since we hung out together. But, no declaration, we are like friends with benefits kind of thing. Anyway, he has a cute birthmark on his right hip. He's the hottest guy I have ever slept with," she raised her eyebrows and smiled at me.

"Wow," I did not know how to react. "That's great." That was all I could say. I felt like my heart had fallen down the floor, stomped by Chris a few times. I felt betrayed and my trust was broken. I wanted to cry but I couldn't because I didn't want Phoebe to know anything.

"Are you okay?" Phoebe patted me on my shoulder when she realized that I was daydreaming.

I rubbed my temple a few times before I barely carved a smile on my face. "Yah, I'm okay. I need to go to the toilet. Excuse me," I rushed towards the bathroom, leaving Phoebe alone.