Chapter 22

It was on the 7th of April, my birthday. I woke up, feeling even blithe and lively than ever. Everything was just around the corner. Final English project, final exam and prom. Diane was the first person to wish me a happy birthday. I went to school as usual, but this time I received a few gifts and tons of people wishing me the best on my birthday. I received a few bars of chocolate from my fellow friends, a bracelet from Barbara, a bag from Phoebe and a new hoodie from Eleanor.

Chris: Meet me at the parking lot after school.

I smiled after receiving the message from him. I had never been so excited about celebrating my birthday in my life after my parents passed away.

After finishing my last class, I went to meet Chris at the parking lot and he asked me to go with him to his home. As soon as I stood in front of him, he pulled me into his embrace and kissed me on my temple before whispering, "Happy birthday, Grace!"

He drove us to his house and then, he walked me to enter. As we arrived at the dining room, I saw a lot of food have been prepared on the table.

"Chris," I was stunned like a statue. I couldn't think of any words to describe how grateful and thankful I was for having him in my life. I hugged him again and looked at him in his eyes. "How do you know it's my birthday?" I asked.

"Gabe," just one word explained everything.

He pulled out the chair for me to sit and he took a seat beside me. There were a plate of two pieces of red velvet cake and a few other plates that only God knew what they're containing.

"So, Grace. The first plate that is closer to you is Mediterranean cod," he showed the same plate that he had as me too. "And then, we have a plate of red velvet cakes," he showed the plate that was located at the centre of the table.

"I love red velvet cake," I exclaimed.

"You do?" He seemed shocked and I nodded. "Seems like we share the same favourite cake. Anyway, there are two plates of charred shrimp and avocado salad," he pointed out the plates that were a little bit far from us.

"Chris, don't burden yourself for preparing something that is hard to make just because I really take care of my diet. Prepare whatever you want, I really truly appreciate it," I gripped his wrist.

"No, I consider everything that is your cup of tea," he insisted. He fed a spoon of red velvet cake into my mouth. "How does it taste? Please don't tell me you're disappointed," I chuckled after he stated that.

"I'm truly overjoyed!" I exclaimed.

"Well, if you don't like it, you may sue Jeremy's Cafe for that," he said nonchalantly.

"What cafe?" I asked him to repeat the name of the cafe again.

"Jeremy's cafe," he answered.

"That's the cafe that I used to work at," I stared blankly on the plate.

"Are you okay?" Chris gently pat me on my hand so I was brought again to reality.

"I'm okay, but the music is really painful for the ear," I said, pointing at retro vinyl record player stereo at the corner of his house.

"You don't like pop music?" He asked.

"No, I love pop music. I really do but this is something else," I replied as I took a bite of the cod.

"So I guess you love the Beatles?" He asked and I grinned. "What's your favourite song?" He looked at me, anticipating of my answer.

"Um... A Day in the Life," I answered.

"Wow, that's an incredible song. You have a great choice," he exclaimed.

"Thank you. Yours?" I asked.

"Bryan Adams. I Do It For You," I never heard of that songs before so I raised my eyebrows.

"Play it for me," I requested.

"You're lucky that I have the record here," he stood up and search the record in the box. "Although, it is impossible for you to love a song when you hear it for the first time," he pulled out the record and put it on the vinyl record player. The songs echoed throughout his entire house.

"It's really a nice song," I said as he sat again in front of me. "Anyway, where is everyone?" I asked.

"They flew to North Carolina yesterday. Because my dad wanted to go there. So-called honeymoon," he explained.

"Mary and Xavier are going too?" I asked again, finishing the last bite of the cod and avocado salad.

"Yes, absolutely," he nodded. "My mom grew up there. At North Carolina. My dad, on the other hand, grew up here so technically their house right now was the place that my dad grew up," he continued.

"Nice," I uttered.

"You have done with your meals?" He pointed out on my plate, which completely no leftovers. I nodded.

He then held my hands and walked me to the backyard. I opened my mouth as wide as I could that there were a lot of candles surrounding the pool. With the night sky that darkened, the candles illuminated the panorama. He wrapped his hand around mine and I leaned my head on his shoulder. Both of us stayed quiet when we reached the pool. After that, he pulled his shirt over his head then bends down to untie his sneakers.

"What are you doing?" I asked. He unbuttoned his pants and I had to force myself not to stare at the way his muscles moved when he bent down to pull his pants through his legs. "You know what, I'm not going to swim," I said before he demanded me to.

"And why is that? It's your birthday, you should make this part of your day," he insisted.

"I didn't bring any extra clothes," I hugged myself. "Nevermind, I will just watch." From my point of view, I could see the drops of water falling from his hair. He was smiling as he pushed his soaked hair back and wiped his face off with one hand.

"Give me a hand," Chris held out his hand for me to help him to get out of the pool.

"Alright," I sighed and when I held his hand, he pulled me into the pool.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry," he said and I laughed. It's weird that I didn't get mad at him for doing that. When I stood up in the pool, the water only reached above my chest. I splashed the water at him and he laughed out loud. He shook his wet head and lunged for me under the water. His arm hooked around my waist and pulled me closer to him. With intrepid, I wrapped my thighs around his waist, a shocked gasp fell from his lips. The electricity between us appeared and I wrapped my arms around his neck to stabilize myself.

"I don't want to hurt you, Grace," he said, gently rubbing his thumb on my lips.

"Then, don't," I looked at him in his eyes. His lips touched my jaw, which nearly made me stumble. I moaned and wrapped my legs tighter. I brought my hands down his back and grazed my nails against his skin.