Chapter 35

CHRIS

As soon as I parked in front of Navy Pier, I took a deep breath while taking out the corsages that I should put on Grace's hand. I didn't know if she would come to the prom or if she came, would she want to be with me? I bit my lower lip as I caressed the beautiful pastel corsage and imagined that I put it on Grace's. A few minutes later, I stepped out of my car and I went to find Coach Peter.

"Hey!" Coach Peter was already carving his smile as he saw me approaching. I embraced him and he patted my back a few times. "Congrats on your scholarship, Mr Daniels!" We pulled away from each other.

I chuckled. "It wouldn't happen if it wasn't because of you," I smiled at him.

"No, you're really a great player," he ran his hand on my shoulder and massaged it a few times just like old people do. "When will be your admission?"

"Next month," I replied.

And we continued to converse any topics. We talked about his plan with the next batch of basketball teams, about his future plan on adopting a kid because he didn't want to get married and his offer to train the basketball team of Chicago. Some of my mates joined too before we entered the hall.

I took a look at my watch every time I felt like the time has passed by. Still, I didn't see Grace in my sight. Was she really didn't want to come?

"Have a date?" Billy wrapped his arm around and jokingly, he pointed out the corsage that I had been held the entire time.

"Not really," I chuckled.

"Katherine, is it?" He nudged his shoulder.

"No," I laughed a bit.

"I will put my eyes on people who wore the same colour of the corsage," he said after his prom date, I didn't recognize who took him off from me.

Alone, I paced towards my car and I leaned against it. I took a cigarette from its box and started to ignite it. I quitted smoking for yore but now, I didn't know why I decided to smoke again. Maybe, the frustration and disappointment engulfed every inch of me. I looked at all the people began queuing in front of the entrance to take photos of them. It was 15 minutes before the entrance was about to close but again, I couldn't see Grace. Perhaps, I should not put my hopes higher than I expected. She wouldn't come. She wouldn't.

"I don't know you smoke," a familiar voice out of nowhere said to me. It's Grace. She was approaching me and my heart beat faster than I could imagine. Quickly, I threw the cigarette away and stomped on top of it.

"Grace," I smiled as she stood in front of me. "I didn't know.... you are going to come," I stammered. "Wow," I was mesmerized by her beauty. Scrutinizing her from top to bottom, I realized that she wore the dress that I gave. She braided her hair horizontally and put a few flowers in between. And then, her hands reached my tie and she fixed a bit before she put her hands on my shoulder and tapped it a few times to clean the dust.

Afterwards, she opened my car and took my perfume and spray it all over me. "Stop smoking. It's dangerous," she put the cap of the perfume and put it in my car. I was stunned by her beauty that I didn't even say a word. "That's for me?" She asked and pointed the corsage on my car's hood.

I turned my head to look at the hood behind me. "Yeah," I reached for it and she immediately put out her wrist for me. I tied the corsage around her wrist and then, she smiled while looking at me. "I thought you wouldn't come," I said as my eyes were set on her. I was hopeful that she would come. She didn't reply, instead, she was smiling. A few seconds later, I walked her to the photo booth for us to take pictures together. "I knew it's kind of bullshit, but thanks for coming," I said as we waited for our turns.