My hair was done and my hanfu was light but warm for the autumn season. I was supposed to go horseback riding today. Last night, I asked the Emperor. I needed to be occupied with something. I wanted to free my mind.

        The attire I was wearing was easy to move around in. I twirled around in it and admired myself from the mirror. Then, my maids ushered me out.

        "Are you ready to go, Empress?" Lian Ying bowed along with the other eunuchs. He waited outside the palace for me. 

        He stood a few meters away from the doorway and next to the sedan chair. I walked down the steps carefully with my maids accompanying me. When I stood below the steps, they were gone. I would have bonding time with the Emperor... and his guards.

        I held my head high and smiled. "Yes, I am."

       When we arrived outside of the Imperial city, the Emperor and a large group of guards were outside. I avoided eye contact with Jaxon. He stood near the Emperor but when I walked out, he took a few steps away from him.

        Leaves were beginning to fall from the trees and the gentle breeze against my skin brought memories. Autumn was when I had to adapt as an Imperial Concubine. It's been so long that it feels weird to be at the top. Back then, I didn't really understand what I was getting myself into. 

        "Happiness and peace to the Empress!" the guards spoke in unison, bowing deeply with their head dipped.

        "Greetings to Your Majesty," I bowed when I walked towards the Emperor.

       He smiled gracefully and took my hand. As he did, he turned to the guards. "You may all rise."

        "Hua Yang told me that this is your first time, is that right?" the Emperor continued to hold my hand, and I let him.

       I nodded. "Yes. I've never... done such things when I was farming."

       The Emperor cleared his throat. He looked away for a second, then looked back at me. For a second, he seemed to be in thought. I was a little shaky when I spoke. Perhaps there was suspicion? I hope not. I would be in trouble if he caught me.

        He settled me on the horse. I didn't know what breed it was but it was a pure white horse that looked friendly. I pet him softly before I went on because I was scared if it tried to throw me off.

          "This horse is properly trained," he patted the horse's head. "I doubt he'll try and hurt you. Just enjoy the ride and the scenery with me, Empress."

        "Do I hold onto this?" I asked as I held the reins. I did watch a couple of horseback riding videos when I was bored, but I didn't know that I'd be in this position. 

        The Emperor raised his eyebrows. "You look like an expert."

        "Thank you, I try," I chuckled. "Let's hope that he doesn't hate me and try to get me off his back."

        "He won't. I won't let him," the Emperor smiled as he got onto his black horse and gave me a subtly flirty wink. 

        I did it back and let out another small laugh after. Was this embarrassment? I did not want to make a fool out of myself. 

       We set off. It was like riding a bike; it was pretty liberating because I didn't have to do much. It was more of a body exercise or a core exercise. I did catch myself holding the reins a little too tight sometimes. I never did support riding horses but I'll make sure this horse gets good food after this.