Chapter 75 - Alternative Ending

*Caspar'sPOV*

"Do you want any pain killers?" Aria asked Summer, her hand rubbing up and down on her back.

Summer was bent over, her head between her knees as far as the bump would allow. She shook her head, showing her stronger side as she wanted to push through the pain.

"10cm Summer. It's time." Aria spoke, a couple of Doctors gathered round, equipment at the ready.

"I'm going to need you to start pushing for me."

Summer's arm immediately reached out to find mine. My heart pounded as I took it, squeezing gently to let her know I was here.

A strained yelp fell from her lips as she began pushing, the midwife yelling praise and telling her to keep pushing.

"Come on baby, you can do this." I spoke softly in her ear. I pushed the hair that was beginning to stick to her forehead away and absentmindedly rubbed my thumb up and down over her hand, hoping it would calm her.

"She's loosing a bit too much blood, can I get a little help in here?" The Nurse spoke lightly.

Time felt like it was moving slowly and too fast all at once. It suddenly hit me that I was stood in a hospital room watching the one girl that had changed my life for the better, the one girl that had caused me so much pain, happiness and confusion, give birth to my child. My son. My baby boy.

My thoughts were broken through by the fresh screams of a child. Summer's small hand relaxed in mine and I knew it had happened. This was it. I drew in a deep breath and looked up from where my sight had been trained on my wife.

There, in the Midwife's arms, wrapped in a big fluffy towel was this tiny pink screaming human. I felt my legs stumble back a little as I took everything in. My mind felt dizzy and overwhelmed, unable to comprehend that, after 9 months of waiting, that he was finally here.

I lent over Summer, her lips were like air and I kissed her like I couldn't breathe.

"You did it. Oh my God Summer, you did it. We're parents." I let out a breathy laugh full of disbelief, relief and happiness.

A tired smile fell upon her face, a thin layer of sweat covering all the corners of her skin and she'd never looked more beautiful. Nothing felt like real life, this felt like a dream and I was just waiting to wake up. But I never would because this was reality. Me, my wife Summer and our baby boy.

I released my fingers from Summer's and went over to where the Midwife was calling me from.

"Would you like to say hi to your son?" Aria asked, a beaming smile on her face.

I was unable to form words to simply nodded as the tiny bundle of blankets was placed into my arms. Gently, I moved the blankets so they were not covering my son's face and gasped. My vision had become slightly blurry from tears but it was still one of the most amazing sights of my life. He was beautiful. His tiny button nose, small mouth and unopened eyes. He had a small tuft of blonde hair on his head and I couldn't help but smile knowing that was a part of me.

Even though I didn't want to look away from his face, my eyes flickered over to Summer laying in the bed. Her gaze was trained sleepily on us, her eyes following me as I walked over closer to her.

"You did it baby. I'm so proud of you." I whispered to her. I was about to pass him over to her when a tiny grip on my hand made my heart, my thoughts and everything in the room stop.

I looked down to see my son's tiny fingers wrapped around one of mine. My breathing had become slow and content and I finally understood what true happiness felt like.