Castaway ~ 72

"I have a feeling that you do have something in mind." Hanji could see that Levi was thinking. There was something going through his head. "You need to tell me or we'll never find something."

Levi sighed. "A bracelet, maybe necklace." He mumbled.

"Ah, you want to gift him something fancy." Hanji teased. "I'm just glad it isn't a ring."

Levi looked at Hanji and raised an eyebrow. "Are you out of your mind?" He asked. "I don't know if I should be offended that you thought I'd really go that far right now."

"I mean, you've already gone pretty far." Hanji said, walking with Levi to the jewelry.

"Not to that extent." Levi didn't want to talk to Hanji about something so far ahead. It was private and he was still in the process of figuring out how to even express emotion.

He was getting better with his communication with Eren, but didn't want to think about how he would have to improve his communication with everyone else.

Levi imagined it as a big wall. Eren was on one side, and everyone else was on the other. That was it. Nobody else crossed over to the other side.

It did take a lot for Eren to even get over to that side. They had a rocky start to their relationship and they had numerous hoops to jump through even when things were going good between them.

Having a relationship and making it work could be challenging in general, but they had to work it out while trying to keep it a secret on top of that.

It was exhausting at times, but Levi wouldn't admit that. Seeing Eren and his smiling face made it worth it.

Levi wasn't oblivious to the fact that it wasn't an ideal situation. It was wrong and taboo. He loved this person and it wasn't right. The day would come when they'd be able to move forwards and be together publicly. It seemed so close yet so far.

"Levi." Hanji tried to get Levi out of his thoughts.

Levi glared at Hanji. "What?"

"Geez. I've never seen you this out of it before." Hanji pointed to the jewelry counter. "Look for something."

Levi leaned over the glass and observed the jewelry. Most of it was very gaudy and flashy. He knew Eren wouldn't wear anything like that. It wasn't him.

"This is all something an old lady would wear." Hanji said, causing the sales associate to glare at her a bit. She could care less and laughed. "Looks like we're shopping for grandma today."

Levi looked at Hanji and found her words amusing. He wouldn't tell her that or laugh though. "What about one of the chains?"

"Do you think he'd look good in it?" Hanji asked.

"Of course he would." Levi said back. "I meant if he'd like it."

"He'd like anything you give him." Hanji murmured, smiling. "So don't stress."

A chain caught Levi's eye and he pointed it out to the employee that was still giving Hanji the stink eye.

The employee reached under the glass and pulled it out. She set it in front of Levi. "This is a good choice. It's an everyday wear. It matches everything."

She overheard them talking and knew it was going to be a gift so she didn't ask further questions.

It was simple, but Eren was the opposite of simple, which was why he thought this would be fitting.

If he couldn't find something for Eren, he did have something else up his sleeve, but he wanted to save it for the future.

Levi was going to get Eren more than the chain, but thought that it would be a good gift.

Hanji watched as Levi chose it and went to pay. His change in behavior was really something. Sometimes she thought she was talking to a different person than the one she met in college and grew up with.

Levi walked back over with a bag and looked at Hanji. "What?"

"Nothing. Let's find the next place." Hanji walked out with Levi.

As they walked around to find an appealing store, they had encountered Eren.

Levi wondered why he was there if he went the day before. Was he doing the same as him?

Eren looked confused during their interaction which meant Levi would have to go talk to Eren at some point.

Once he was no longer talking with Eren, he set off again with Hanji.

He hoped he didn't have any other encounters with him. Levi was already holding the bag to the store he got the chain. It wasn't that he didn't want to see him, but he didn't want to have to explain himself. Having to explain what he bought meant that he'd spoil the surprise.

"Why don't you get Eren a nice jacket and scarf?" Hanji asked. "I always notice at the school that these guys never wear anything warm. I see them in long sleeve shirts and sweaters. Don't they get cold?"

Levi thought that was actually a good idea. He never saw Eren really dressed warmly and that was something that he could use often.

-

Though Levi was able to successfully find Eren another gift, he had their interaction on his mind.

He didn't want Eren thinking something shady was going on. He couldn't really tell him why he was there though.

Spoiling that he was shopping for him for gifts wasn't what he wanted to do, but as he thought about it, Eren was probably doing the same exact thing in the end. Why else would he be there two days in a row?

Why was he worrying so much about what Eren thought? It was another thing that stood out to him as being new.

Thinking about how someone else took something and interpreted it wasn't really a thing he did. As a teacher, one would think that he would do that.

It always made him wonder if he should express how much he had changed with Eren. He stepped foot on that island and left with so many changes.

Levi was also looking forward to the time Eren would spend at his place. He could see that Eren was super excited and that made him glad.

He always thought Eren would get bored of the same old routine.

-

A/N: Hi! Sorry this chapter is late and a little short. I've been working again and have had less time! The next chapter is going to be super great though because it's the winter break for them. :)

Don't forget to vote and comment :)