Castaway - 65

"If you're so interested, I guess." Levi shrugged and kept his eyes on the road. "Anything specific?"

"Um..your family and what your childhood was like. Parents? Childhood friends?" Eren asked.

"I have no idea who my father is. Pretty sure I'm the result of a one night stand." Levi started out. "My mother was sick and died when I was young." He wondered if he should go into detail. Eren did seem to want details though. "My uncle, who I didn't know existed, stopped by our apartment and found us. She had been dead for days."

Eren was not expecting Levi's words. He looked surprised, eyes wide. "Whoa what? I feel like this could be kind of traumatic for you to talk about, you don't have to tell me in such detail."

"I was a kid. I'm fine now." Levi rolled his eyes. "I was raised by my uncle and we grew up poor. I was an angry child and got into some trouble. I thought I'd end up in a bad crowd like my uncle, but I ended up choosing to finish high school. I ended up going to college. That's basically it."

Eren tilted his head. "What do you mean by, 'that's basically it,'? That was a lot." He ran a hand through his hair. "I didn't think you had a past like that up your sleeve. Do other people know details? Where is your uncle now?"

"Nobody else knows details. He's still living in the run down, shitty apartment I grew up in with him. He's a deadbeat. I haven't talked to him in years. Pretty sure he didn't even know I went missing for months." Levi sighed. "I don't care though. It's old news."

Eren frowned. Everyone he knew had dead parents. Did they all just gravitate towards each other?

"Don't frown." Levi reached over and rested his hand on Eren's cheek. "It's not a big deal." He pinched the other's cheek teasingly.

"But it is." Eren said.

Levi sighed. "It happened. I was angry when I was younger over it, but I grew up. I'm not going to waste time being angry about it now."

"But childhood trauma is a thing. You don't think that messed you up?" Eren asked.

"Of course I'm not normal." Levi kept his eyes on the road, moving his hand from Eren's cheek to place it back on the steering wheel.

"Don't you think you should talk to someone?" Eren asked.

"Have you talked to someone over your past?" Levi asked. "About what happened on the island? About your childhood?"

"I mean, a little bit. I didn't stick with it though." Eren admitted. How could he tell someone to get help when he himself wasn't getting the help he needed?

Levi gripped the steering wheel a bit tighter. "Sometimes it feels like we're still on that island."

"I don't think we should talk about the island right now." Eren mumbled.

"Why? Because you have nightmares? Because you don't realize that empty feeling in your chest and dread you feel is anxiety?" Levi said seriously.

"I got over that. I wasn't that shaken up right after we were rescued. I'm okay." Eren said back, brows furrowed.

"Sometimes it takes a while." Levi glanced at Eren.

"Okay." Eren looked down.

"Okay?" Levi raised an eyebrow.

"Can we just not go there right now? We had a really good weekend and I was able to have fun with you. Even if I did sprain my ankle, we were able to actually go out and enjoy ourselves. Talking about this is depressing." Eren turned and looked out of the window. He knew the topic wouldn't have come up if he didn't ask about Levi's past. A part of him regretted asking, but he was glad he asked.

Nobody can be happy all of the time. As frustrated as he was in that moment, he knew Levi was right.

Levi had never responded to Eren and looked emotionless as always in that moment.

"If I go talk to someone you have to go and talk to someone too. That's the only way I'm going." Eren said, surprised by his own words.

Levi looked at Eren. He knew the other was stubborn and it would be a fight. "Fine."

Eren thought he misheard Levi for a moment. He agreed?

Levi felt a bit guilty for ending their time together on a depressing note. He could've dropped the topic after talking about his childhood. He agreed, but didn't think anything would actually come of it.

-

The long drive came to an end. It was Sunday evening around dinner time. Most people were inside with their families. Levi got out of his car and opened the passenger side door for Eren. He took the crutches out and passed them to him.

"I can carry my bag." Eren said, watching as Levi took it out of the trunk.

"No. You're on crutches." Levi sighed. "Let's go."

Levi started walking beside Eren towards the door.

Eren reached his hand into his pocket and took out the keys. As he tried to open the door he dropped them and huffed softly.

Levi picked them up and opened the door. He went inside and held it open for Eren.

Eren made his way inside and sat on the couch, setting the crutches aside. "They're hard to use."

"You won't have to be on them long." Levi said, setting Eren's bag next to him.

"Are you leaving?" Eren asked. "You can stay for a little if you want." As Eren said that, Mikasa and Armin walked out of the kitchen.

"Hey." Mikasa said.

Armin smiled. "How was it?"

"A lot of fun." Eren smiled. "I got the best souvenir." He pointed to his crutches.

Levi didn't have anything to say, so he stood silently.

"Do you want tea or coffee?" Eren asked, looking at Levi.

Levi shook his head. "I should get back. I have to finish up my lesson plan for tomorrow. Let me know if you need anything, okay?"

Eren frowned. "Okay..."

Levi turned to leave, but Eren stood up. "You're not even going to say goodbye to me?" He frowned.

Mikasa and Armin were watching. The blonde laughed softly. He knew Levi didn't want them witnessing their displays of affection.

Levi sighed and walked over. "I'll see you tomorrow." He murmured. With those words, he leaned in and gave Eren a quick kiss.

He left shortly after.

"Is he always like that?" Mikasa asked. "He seemed so cold."

"No. It's because you two were watching. He's a lot more affectionate when we're alone." Eren mumbled, blushing faintly.

"More affectionate? Interesting." Armin teased. "So, tell us the details! What was the place you stayed at like?"

-