Chapter 54

I look around the small house, taking everything in as she returns with two cups of coffee for the two of us. I stared at her taking in her appearance, she has really changed. Her always short mini skirt is now exchanged for straight jeans and her normally tight crop top was dumped for a green tshirt. Her blonde hair looks more natural than before and she has this natural look and beauty to her, thanks to a zero use of make up, but with all these, her eyes still shows what she feels.

"Here you go" she gives me my cup as i clutch it, she takes hers as she sat opposite me on the couch. She gives me a warm smile as i returned mine.

"Thank you" she nods, taking a sip from hers. I sigh taking mine. "How are you Matilda? By the way you look__" she quickly cuts me off.

"Different right?" She asks as if looking for my approval.

"I meant to say nice?" I said nervously not wanting to hurt the poor girl's feeling. She nods, sighing in content.

We were both silent for a moment, not knowing what to say. It's not like we were friends before. Situation made us strange acquaintances. 

"I know you are not here to talk over tea or should i say coffee or about the weather... " she puts the coffee on the table in front of us. "I heard what happened to Leah" she looks at me with sympathy.

"Yeah... it's all over the local news" I puff staring at the steam from the coffee. The cool morning air made my hands cold so i need the heat from the cup. "What do you got to say about this?" I look up to meet her eyes.

"I know she is not lying" she nods in assurance. "He is capable of doing that to her.. Bu-but i told you to warn her" she chastised as i huff in frustration.

"You think i didn't?, I did, i really really tried but he always finds a way to worm himself back into her life, he is as slimy as a snake!" I grit.

"Of course he is" she shrugs as i place my coffee on the table.

"Matilda i need your help" she nods for me to go on. "The court needs more evidence and i was thinking if you could testify against him in court__"

"No!" She stood up abruptly as i also do the same. She shakes her head furiously, wrapping her hands around her.

"Why?! You will also get the justice that you desire__"

"I don't want it!"

"Why?!" I snapped getting frustrated on her adamant behavior. She sighs moving around, thinking.

"Cause I know you are not going to win this case" she shrugs, looking confident. I glare at her. She sighs.

"Look Rosalia... It's not like i hate Leah or anything is just that... You guys are wasting your time" I stared at her silently as she continues "Hulio Banerio as connections in this town and am sure by now he is pulling all the strings"

"Who is Hulio Banerio?" I asked in confusion as she gave a mild smile.

"Guess you don't know him as Hulio, he normal refers to himself as Lucio Banerio in a formal setting" I nod my head in realization, the father of those two idiots.

"How do you know his other name?" She grins.

"Let's say when we were together, i did some sniffing around"
I shake my head in amusement as she turns serious. "I believe he has connections with the mafia and a member of one of the major famiglia at their home back in Italy... The mansion back here is just like a branch managed by his two sons. He as dirt on every important figure in this town, from the mayor down to the sheriff, they all work for him, that is why he technically owns this town"