Part 39. Birthday

"Morning Ava!" I said as I saw her stirring awake. I was sitting in a chair beside her bed, waiting for her to wake up.

"You have no idea how creepy it is waking up to your friend who is sitting beside your bed watching you sleep." Ava groaned.

"Ya, uh huh. That's great. Dont care. Move your lazy butt out of bed. It's your birthday" I say.

Ava just moaned in response.

"Were getting doughnuts." I say.

Within moments, Ava was our of bed and grabbing her clothes to get dressed.

"Let's go." Ava said as she finished slipping into her tshirt.

She had on her pale orange shirt and ripped jean shorts. I had on the Beatles shirt Thomas gave me as well as my jean shorts. We slipped on our flip flops because why not, and headed to the car.

Ava hops in and starts driving to the doughnut shop. We pick up a dozen doughnuts and head back to the car. It is a million times easier using crutches than the wheelchair. I'm so much more self sufficient.

"Ok Ava. I'm going to give you directions. Follow them blindly without question. Okay?" I say

"Sure" she replies.

I spend 10 minutes instructing Ava. Eventually I tell her to pull over and we walk the last 100 meters or so.

We turn the corner and there it is. On the little bridge Tom took me to as he was giving me a tour. There was a table set up with about a dozen chairs. There were balloons tied to the chair and about two dozen people standing around.

"Ava! Happy birthday!" Thomas and Av said as the came over.

"You pulled this all together?" Ava asked talking to Tom and Av.

"Nope. Y/N did most of the work. We just held it together as she was in the hospital." Thomas said. Ava, Av and Tom all turned to me. Thomas gave me a wink. I smiled back.

"Come on over here." Av said as she grabbed Ava by the arm. I can tell Ava loves it.

"Tom! Thanks for this." I say as he comes closer to me. I shift my weight off my wrists and to my feet. I wrap my arms around Tom's neck. At first, he seemed shocked and didnt move. But then he wrapped his perfect arms around my waist. After a few second he pulled me closer to him. The hug was only supposed to be friend to friend, but I'm not objecting. I rested my head on the crease where his shoulder neck and chest meet.

"It was no big deal." He said in a hushed tone. Almost a whisper.

My crutch began to fall, and Tom broke the hug to catch it.

"Come on over here. I'll introduce you to those that I know. We are on a public bridge, so anyone can come. But who cares? If this was a private bridge there would just be 10 people here. Who knows? Maybe ava will meet someone the way we met." Thomas said.

Wait.
Was he referring to this almost romantic feeling between us?
I thought it was just me feeling it.
Stop it.
Dont get ahead of yourself.

"Sounds great."I say as Thomas shows me around.