Part 35. Not Dead

Y/N POV

There is this bright light. I can't tell where its coming from. I feel pricks all over me. Like something sharp is poking me. I feel awake, but I cant move. My eyes are closed, and I cant open them. I can feel all my limbs but I cant move them. I'm in this weird haze like coma of sorts. 

Hours pass. I think. I have no concept of time. All I can see is the bright light burning through my eyelids.

As if some switch was flipped, I regain movement in my body. I gasp for air, as I sit straight up. I'm in a hospital. Again. What happened? Ava was sitting in the chair and she jumped up as I gasped for air. 

"Y/N! My goodness, you're alive! They didn't think you'd make it. Tasha and Ava called me about a hundred times using your phone. I thought you were calling me instead of chilling with Thomas so I refused to pick up, until about the 20th call. Then I came as soon as I could. They were all around your bed crying. Then you stopped breathing, and the doctors had to hook you up to a machine to keep oxygen flowing through you. They said if you didn't show responsiveness after a few days they'd have to ask us for permission to unplug the machine and let you die." Ava says rambling on, slurring her words. A steady flow of tears was rolling down her cheeks. 

"Ava, chill. I'm here. I don't plan on leaving any time soon. Don't worry." I felt a hand on my back I spin my head around. 

Thomas. There are tears in his eyes. A smile comes across his face as our eyes meet. He leans forward and pulls me into a tight hug. I hug him back. The hug lasted for probably more than a minute. I could feel his tears running down my neck, as he cried on my shoulder. He eventually pulled away and looked at me.

"They said you wouldn't make it" Thomas said. There were now tears in my eyes too. Not tears of sadness. Tears of happiness.

"I'll go get your family. They'll want to see her alive. And I'll grab you guys something to eat. Y/N hasn't eaten in basically two days." Ava said as she left the room.

"Have I been here for that long?" I ask. I count the days on my fingers. "On no. That means Ava's birthday is tomorrow!" I say, realizing I don't have anything planned to thank her for literally sitting beside me for the past weeks. 

"Y/N, you're alive. That's enough of a gift to all of us." Thomas says. He places his hand on my shoulder, at the base of my neck. 

I feel his hand slowly move up my neck. His fingers reach the base of my hair. He leans in. His hand is pulling me closer. Our eyes close. Still aproaching each other. We are less than inches away. 

"Whats going on here?" Ava asks. She comes in holding a box of doughnuts.

Thomas pulls me into a hug, trying to cover the fact that he almost kissed me. 

"That was really bad timing. I whisper in his ear.