Part 43: The Final Round

A shot whizzed by Renjun's ear and he dropped to his knees, grabbing the collar of Mark's jacket to drag him down to the ground. Renjun's knees ached as he crouched on the uneven debris from the nearby building that had been bombed.

"Stay still," Renjun demanded and Mark froze as Renjun rested his arms on the other's shoulder, adjusting his view as he pointed the gun in front of them. He hissed in frustration as a figure darted behind a concrete pillar. "Come on you bastard." Renjun glared at the pillar, finger itching to press against the trigger, demanding to claim a life.

"His foot, at the bottom," Mark whispered and Renjun adjusted his arm's position on Mark's shoulder, trying to get the straightest shot he could. He could just barely see the heel sticking out but he would have to make it work. He licked his dry lips.

"Don't fucking move," he warned again and Mark nodded, his shoulder not even trembling under Renjun's instruction. He pressed down on the trigger, then another time as the man fell backward in pain, shooting him in the side of his neck. Renjun let out a small noise of approval and brought his arms off of Mark's shoulder, standing before helping the older up to his feet.

Mark whistled as they made their way through the rubble-filled street, looking at the body resting in the center of the pool of blood. He hit the back of Renjun's shoulder and looked at him with an impressed look. "Way to go shortie." Renjun rolled his eyes and shrugged Mark's hand off his shoulder before continuing down the street.

"Come on, we need to get back before it gets dark."

It had been three weeks since it started.

The war.

Close to a quarter of the entire city of Seoul and the surrounding area has been reduced to rubble, caught in either gunfire or bombing between the two groups. It had started with the fire that burned down NCT's base, everyone evacuating into the night as their house went up in flames, clogging the air with heavy smoke. Only Taeyong and Chenle had suffered any kind of burns from the fire, both trying to save whatever files they could. It certainly hadn't helped that Jisung had tried to run back into the fire and ended up punching Jaemin who had tried to restrain him, tensions increasing between the members.

Unluckily for them, EXO was on the offensive. It had been a large majority of Yongsan-gu district, NCT's territory, that had suffered the most. By this time, much of the population of had fled. Luckily for them, the South Korean government refused to make an international or even countrywide statement about the mafia violence happening between the two territories. The government had simply closed down those districts to outside travelers and did their best to get the majority of people out.

However, Mark and Renjun were bringing news back that may be able to change the direction of the conflict in their favor. They had been out on a run to determine what other groups would be supporting them in their raid of EXO's house at the edge of their territory. Pentagon, Mamamoo, and Stray Kids had all sent messages of their alliance and support.

Renjun's feet shifted under him as the gravel slid under his weight. Mark's heavy breaths of exertion reached his ears but they couldn't afford to stop. Shooters and other hitmen could be anywhere. Renjun's eyes briefly landed on the ring that rested on his left hand and he smiled softly regardless of the situation.

They hadn't told anyone, and no one brought it up so Renjun and Donghyuck were okay for now, knowing that Taeyong would overreact. For a group of highly organized mafia members, they didn't have the best observational skills. But that was to be expected when their minds were focused on more pressing matters.

"Which entrance are we using this time?" Mark's voice rang out quietly and Renjun pointed to the subway entrance about 30 feet in front of them. Mark nodded and the two looked around, keeping their eyes peeled for anybody that could pose a threat to them or the other members as they entered the hideout. When nobody came into view, the two ducked into the subway tunnels.