Part 20: A Question of Trust

Donghyuck craned his neck over Taeil's head to see the monitor that displayed Renjun sitting alone in a coffee shop, a small cup placed in front of him as he read an open book in his hands.

Normal.

That was the first word to come to Donghyuck's head as he stared at the older boy. He looked like a normal teenager who was spending his afternoon reading in a coffee shop. It was so mundane, but the circumstances certainly weren't.

Renjun had actually come up with a plan within the hour he was given, much to Donghyck's relief. There was someone he knew that was a potential mafia member and Renjun was planning to use him to infiltrate Monsta X's gang and report back information to them.

He had actually created a full proof plan. He and Taeil had talked over the best method of communication that wouldn't out him and a plan to pull him out of there after a week or two.

Now they just had to convince this mystery person.

For some reason Renjun was really stubborn on not revealing his name and that drew Donghyuck's suspicion. What would be the purpose of hiding someone's identity, they were all going to know who it was once they met up with Renjun.

Taeil pushed Donghyuck off of his head and grumbled. "Just take a seat next to me alright? You don't need to hover." Donghyuck cheered as he pulled an empty chair to sit next to Taeil as they watched Renjun. Chenle was on the other side of Taeil and was hooking up sound through the security cameras. Taeyong, Sicheng, Johnny, and Kun were standing behind the three who were sitting down.

"When is he suppose to arrive?" Taeyong questioned from the back and Donghyuck heard Johnny reply with a quick 'any second.' Donghyuck felt nerves bubble up but he felt excited too. He was in on a super top secret mafia mission, which meant they were starting to see him as trustworthy, maybe even a potential member like this guy Renjun was meeting.

"He's here." Taeil's curt voice announced and Donghyuck turned his attention to the boy who was now moving to sit down in front of Renjun at the table. Donghyuck watched as a smile rose on the boy's face, his mouth opening to release that high-pitched giggle, and his hand moving to ruffle his blond hair. His eyes flickered, confusion and anger rising in his gut as he looked at Renjun who was returning the smile, his book now placed closed on the table.

"Hey Mark, it's been a while since I've seen your cute face," Renjun's sickenly sweet voice filtered through the speaker into the room, and Donghyuck felt like he was going to throw up.

"What the hell is Mark doing there," he choked out, his emotions rising in his voice. He looked at the boys who were staring at him with wide expressions.

"You know this kid?" Taeyong questioned and Donghyuck felt angry tears prick at his eyelids as he looked back to see Mark and Renjun laughing over something Mark had just said.

"Mark's my best friend," He muttered and he heard someone mutter a small 'oh shit', "Renj-Renjun promised not to get Mark involved."

No one responded as their attention refocused solely on the two's conversation.

"So how have you been Hyunjin?" Mark took a sip of his coffee that had just arrived and winced at the hot temperature. Renjun laughed in response.

"I've been okay, a little stressed actually," he seemed to get more serious and Mark furrowed his eyebrows in concern.

"Are you okay?" Mark asked and Renjun shook his head 'no.' He moved closer to Mark and Mark leaned in too, getting a little too close for Donghyuck's liking. Well, for Renjun's liking of course, Donghyuck couldn't help but still be concerned about the boy's phobia regardless of how angry he was at the older.