Part 31: Breaking Point

⚠️WARNING: Mentions of/depiction of torture, blood, panic attacks, injuries, may induce feelings of wanting to cut a bitch while simultaneously wanting to protect Renjun with your life⚠️

_____________________________

Renjun pressed the back of his head against the rough, concrete wall behind him and winced as he shifted to find a more comfortable sitting position. Tears pricked the back of his eyelids as he put too much pressure on his wrist and he grit his teeth, trying to endure the horrible pain that shot up his arm.

He had his legs stretched out in front of him, the hard floor already stained with vast amounts of his blood after hours of pain-filled torture and interrogation. He was almost sure that his right wrist and legs were broken, most of the skin swollen and purple. From what he could tell, almost all of his body was covered in dozens of the salt-filled cuts.

It didn't help Renjun's mental state that they had provided him the opportunity to escape.

His eyes stared at the open metal door, his entire body shackle free but so broken that he couldn't move without dark spots crossing his vision, pain rendering him immobile. He knew they were playing with him. They were teasing and taunting him, prompting him to escape when he clearly couldn't.

It was almost humiliating. Huang Renjun, one of the top hitmen of NCT who could take down dozens of men alone couldn't grit his teeth and endure some pain to get himself the hell out of here.

It certainly didn't help his case that he had endured hours of uncontrollable panic attacks from when they would grab onto his bare skin. The would just lean back and watch as he hyperventilated until unconsciousness overtook him.

Renjun wasn't too sure how long he'd been there. He was restricted from any sort of sunlight or stimulus other than the room he was in. The cell had been behind him when he had first arrived, the chair now visible through the metal bars. He had tried to regulate when they would come in to give him food but they came in irregular patterns, sometimes giving him more food and telling him to ration it until he got his next meal.

It was exhausting.

"How are you doing Jun?"

Renjun kept his eyes straight ahead, his gaze fixated on the ominous chair, the one that had held him hour after hours of unbelievable torture. The one that kept him upright as the bones in his legs were crushed and no longer able to support him.

The brown-haired boy sat next to Renjun and his hand reached out to cover Renjun's broken wrist. Renjun's breath began to come out in erratic patterns as the boy shifted closer to him so their sides were pressed against each other.

"You need to stay strong okay? They'll be here for you before you know it." Donghyuck murmured and Renjun couldn't help the tears that welled in his eyes as his boyfriend expressed his obvious concern. Renjun turned his head to the side to look into Donghyuck's flawless face and he faintly acknowledged the tears falling onto his arm.

"You're not real," Renjun whispered, his voice cracking from exhaustion and emotion. Donghyuck's hand reached up to brush the tears off of Renjun's face and Renjun leaned into the warm palm of Donghyuck's hand. "I know you're not real."

Donghyuck smiled softly at him. "You're going to be okay, alright moonlight?"

Renjun's heart shattered at the nickname and he tucked his head into his chest as sobs fell from his lips. He was so pathetic. He was trying to hold onto someone who didn't know how much Renjun loved them. Who couldn't remember the hours that they had spent together? Renjun was so hopelessly in love with Donghyuck, but did Donghyuck return those feelings? The answer was no, of course Donghyuck didn't return those feelings.

Regardless of if he ever regained his memories, were his feelings so shallow that he could forget Renjun just like that? If Renjun ever got out of this suffocating prison, and if he somehow was able to recover after this, would Donghyuck ever be able to return his feelings?

The familiar despair of Donghyuck never remembering wormed its way to settle in Renjun's chest and spread throughout his body. He finally understood why he had made that decision all those months ago. He finally understood why he had tried to take his own life. This wasn't the common and easy pain that one could live with and continue to prosper. This was the undeniable pain that had kept Renjun glued down to the floor as days had flashed by, everyone moving on and continuing with their lives as he struggled to move. To eat. To drink. To sleep. To breathe.

Renjun's body was stuck. He was stuck on the floor of this disgusting floor surrounded by moss, mold, and the dried, metallic smell of his own blood as he suffered for who knows how long.

Some evil part of him wondered if he was ever going to get out. Some part of him told him that his members would have already come for him if they were going to risk rescuing him. Maybe they had just given up on him.

Maybe he should just give up on them.

Renjun looked back up at the tempting and painful image that he had made of Donghyuck to stay alive and his heart smiled at Donghyuck as his face could no longer muster the energy to do so. Renjun closed his eyes.

"I'm sorry sunshine, I can't do it."

The door across the room cracked open and Renjun sat there, the footsteps drawing closer, rough hands grabbing his body and dragging him to his shattered feet. Renjun collapsed to the ground as his legs gave out under him and shock of the agony that he was in overcame him. The hands dragged him up again and across the floor to tie him to the familiar chair.

Renjun's eyes opened to look into some sick strangers devilish ones and his body seized up as his fingers touched his chin. Renjun jerked his head back and tears rolled down his face, his eyes raw and puffy. His skin crawled with disgust and terror as the touch caressed his chin slowly and softly, tormenting him.

"Don't touch me." Renjun tried to spit out firmly but it came out as a beg, his voice quiet and weak. His shoulders sagged and he looked to the ground as the man laughed.

"Look at you, the great Huang Renjun I've heard so much about. You're so weak." Came the stranger's taunting response and Renjun's body ached as he cried. He had once again regressed to the boy he used to be. The weak boy who couldn't defend himself as people tore at his body and mind.

Renjun couldn't muster the energy to fight back as his tormentor hit him over and over again. His screams of agony stuck in his throat as he just sat there and took the damaging blows one after another.

Renjun winced as his sweat and blood-soaked sleeve was pulled up to his elbow, exposing his forearm to the damp and stale air. Renjun looked up, ready to endure the pain of the salt stinging against his skin, but fear seized his gut as he watched someone bring in an iron rod and a bucket of hot coals.

He began to tug at his bonds as his tormentor grabbed the rod and stuck it into the bucket, his wrist and arms throbbing with pain as he tried to get out of his restricting bonds. The other smirked at Renjun's panic and took his time strolling over to Renjun's trembling body.

"Not so tough now huh?" The torturer whispered, his malice filled voice causing Renjun to shake violently as terror filled him. Renjun's screams filled the room as the hot rod pressed and burned against his already scarred arms, branding him and sealing his tortured fate onto his body.

_________________________________