Wishing in the Mirror

When I was a little girl in Kyoto, my father would often take me to see the spring dances performed by beautiful geisha. As the stage was set, he would often point and whisper to me, "Do you see that, (Y/N)-chan?" 

I would nod excitedly as he whispered the stories in my ear as the geisha on stage acted them out. My eyes followed each graceful movement as if I could absorb the beauty of it all. 

That memory was so long ago, a lifetime from where I sat now in front of my makeup mirror applying my eyeliner. I watched my reflection, still unused to the shift in my appearance. 

I had been an old woman when the American's bomb was dropped on Hiroshima. I had gone into the city to visit my niece that day.  I had expected traffic, the noise, the heat from the cars...but not the bomb.

Setting down my eyeliner brush, I gazed at my reflection. Hell had restored my youthful beauty, though in a twisted sort of way. Instead of a beautiful young teahouse owner, I was an alluring demoness. 

I smirked. Of course, I was still the owner of my teahouse. I had worked my fingers to their bones to build an exact replica of my beautiful teahouse in Kyoto. It had been my life's work, why should it not be my afterlife's work as well?

Sighing, I mentally went over the list of tasks that needed to be done before we opened for the evening. The geisha who had been requested by our patrons would be arriving soon. Getting to my feet, I took one last look at my appearance, smoothing my black silk kimono with the gold and red embroidery. 

This night promised no more than to be like all the other nights. However, as I turned away from my makeup mirror, I found myself wishing for more.