Chapter 34: Final Battle for Middle Earth

The march down to the black gate was silent and solemn. Aragorn led the army as the rightful King. Legolas, myself, Gimli, Lorelei and Éomer rode behind. Kili, Fili, Rîndis, Saphire and Raven followed closely after. The army stopped in front of the black gate. I stared up at it from atop Midnight who growled at the gate. He knew where we were and was clearly not happy to be bad. I pet his head.
"It's okay boy, "
I glared up at the tall gates myself. Being here still filled me with fear when I remembered the first time I had walked through them.
"Anastasia your sword, " Rîndis said.
I drew my sword and brought it put in front of me and examined the blade. It was glowing harshly as if it sensed the power that dwelled here. I could feel it to though it was not having the effect on me that it once did.
Aragorn led a smaller group of us forward closer to the ominous gate.
"Let the Lord of the Black Gate come forth! Let justice be done upon him!"
The black gate slowly cracked open and a creature rode out on an armoured horse. The creature looked practically human but it wore a large metal helmet which only left his scared red mouth with rotted teeth exposed.
"My master, Sauron the Great, bids there welcome, " He grinned with his wide mouth spouting the scars around his mouth more.
I grimaced slightly whilst I saw Aragorn send the creature a mocking look.
"Is there any in this rout with authority to treat with me?"
"We do not come to treat with you faithless and accursed. Tell your master this. The armies of Modor must disband. He is to depart these lands and never return, " Gandalf declared.
The creature sneered.
"Old grey beard. I have a token I was bidden to show thee, "
He pulled out a mithril coat. The one that Frodo had worn. My heart plummeted. He threw it to Gandalf.
"No, " I whispered.
"Frodo, " Pippin cried.
"Silence! " ordered Gandalf.
"No, " cried Merry.
"Silence! " Gandalf repeated.
"The halfling was dear to thee I see. Know that he suffered greatly at the hands of his host. Who would've thought one so small could endure so much pain, "
I wiped a tear that forced it's way out and trickled down my face.
I looked to the others who seemed to be losing hope as well. But not Aragorn. He glared strongly at the creature and showed no sign of giving up any time soon. Aragorn rode closer.
"And who is this? Isildur's heir? It takes more to make a King than a broken Elvish blade, "
Aragorn didn't waste any time to remove the foul things head from its shoulders.
"I guess that concludes negotiations, " Gimli commented.
"Well I was never really one for negotiations anyway, " I added.
We all looked to Aragorn.
"I do not believe it. I will not, " he said determinedly.
The black gate opened once more. The rhythmic thumping of heavy boots filled the tense air
"Fall back, " I called as we saw the massive army approaching. How we would ever defeat that in didn't know. All I knew is that I would try as best as I can. We rode back to the rest of the army. I smiled to Legolas before hopping off M standing between him and Saphire who was stood next to Raven. Raven gripped her axe tightly and Saphire clutched her bow leaving her new sword at her waist.
"Ready?" I asked.
"No, you?" Saphire returned.
"No, "
"Hey, we're family. We're Ironhearts. We make it through or we die trying, " Raven said.
Aragorn then began his speech
"Sons of Gondor, of Rohan, my brothers. I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of Men fails when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day. An hour of wolves and shattered shields when the Age of Men comes crashing down. But it is not this day. This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good earth, I bid you stand, Men of the West!"
The army drew their swords ready. I drew mine too.
All that could be heard was boom footsteps of the army of Mordor. The ground shook underneath us as we stared down the great army. My hands began to shake with adrenaline. Midnight began to snarl again from next to Raven. All of my family stood their side by side. Lorelei, Éomer, Merry, Pippin, Gandalf, Fili, Kili, Rîndis, Gimli, Legolas, Saphire and Raven. The only one not with us was Aragorn who stood in front of us all.
"Never thought I'd die fighting side by side with an elf, " said Gimli.
"How about side by side with a friend?" Legolas asked.
"Aye. I could do that, "
I smiled at the two of them.
"It has been a pleasure to have been your friends for so many years lassy, " Gimli said to me.
"And it had been an honour to call you my friend Gimli, "
I looked to Legolas who was simply looking at me.
"What are you doing Legolas?"
"Just admiring, " he replied.
We both stared at each other for a long moment.
"Oh, just kiss already would ya!" Gimli exclaimed.
"I don't need to be told twice, " I said as I met Legolas in one sweet kiss.