Chapter 19: Happy one year

Gabriella's POV:

Sophomore year: *flashback*

I pull the covers from my body and quickly jump out of bed. I look at myself in the mirror and laugh at the bird nest on top of my head. I have to fix myself for today. 

I take my phone from my bedside table to text Connor. We started dating February 3rd last year. Everyone said we wouldn't last, that our relationship was child's play, but I would love to see their faces today when I walk the hallways hand in hand with him. It's so easy for us because we were best friends since kindergarten before we became a couple. I have to admit I always had a thing for him, but he doesn't need to know that.

Me: Happy one year, baby. I love you <3

I shower quickly and apply light make up on my face. Only some concealer, blush and mascara. 

I check the time and run downstairs to have breakfast. I have just started drinking straight dark coffee and I absolutely love it, my mom does too. We have that in common.

"Gabriella, time to go!" she shouts from the porch and I grab Connor's gift from the couch and run into her car. 

I fidget with my fingers and my mom notices almost immediately. She squeezes my hand and gives me a reassuring smile. "He'll love it, honey." she whispers and I smile back.

I look down at the gift that rests on my lap. It took me 3 days to make it. It's a small scrapbook from our pictures since we were 5. I look back at everything we've been through and feel like tearing up.

My parents have always been accepting of Connor's and I relationship. They care about him almost as much as they care about me. I'm thankful I can say the same for his parents. They've treated me like their own since day one. 

"Have a great day, sweetie." I nod and briefly lean in to kiss her cheek. 

"You too!" I wave her goodbye and run to my locker so I can save Connor's gift after school finishes. 

"Is that what I think it is?" my best friend Rachel asks excited as she approaches me. We both squeal while I show her the scrapbook. "Oh my god. It's beautiful Gabs!" she smiles and claps her hands together. 

"Thank you Rach, I'm hoping he likes it." I say shyly and she wraps her arm around my shoulders. 

"Are you kidding? He's gonna love it!" she assures me, but it does nothing to calm my nerves. That's what I like the most about my relationship with him. The fact that we've been together for so long hasn't changed anything.

***

"Rach, I'm starting to get worried." I pant while walking back and forth in the ladies room. "Why didn't he come to school?" I ask her and she shakes her head.

"I don't know Gabs, maybe you should text him." she suggests and I pull my phone from my pocket to show her the many texts I sent him.  

Me: Connor?

Me: Are you coming in late?

Me: Baby, I'm worried

Me: Please text me back.

Me: Where are you?

Me: Connor?

Me: Are you mad at me?