Chapter 9: The scent of an upcoming storm

Gabriella's POV: 

I declined my friends offers to drive me home and settled for a silent walk. They bombarded me with questions, concerned about my current state. I hastily answered them and practically ran from the school building when the final bell rang.

I avoided them and also Finn. I can't deal with him right now, not until I find I way to work with him without trying to claw his eyes out. At first I could at least stand the sight of him, but now? I'm not so sure. He humiliated me, lied and worst of all, he did so just to get what he wants from me. 

Like in any other high school, there is a bad-boy. Yes, talk about particular stereo types. There are stories about what Finn has done. Things I didn't totally believe, until now. The way he is trying so hard to push me over the edge has me bothered more than it should.

Am I overreacting? Is this me having trust issues because of what happened the last time a boy wanted me?  

I don't know what takes over me. Maybe it's the fact that the sky is grey and the clouds are hovering over the sun, or that I'm hormonal. My eyes tickle and I feel like crying. Before any tear can roll down my cheeks I wipe my glassy eyes and continue to walk in no particular direction. 

My phone vibrates in my pocket. I take it out and the name on the screen is the one I didn't want to see. I guess Addison unblocked him when I wasn't looking. Ignoring the text, I plugged my ear buds and let the blasting music take over, silencing the world around me.

As I walk and look around I see little kids playing in their front yards, smiling and giggling constantly. A smile tugs my lips and I stare at them, enjoying the nostalgia of watching them have fun with their friends. 

When I am about to sit on the pavement to presence the scene in front of me, a raindrop drips down my arm. The kids squeal are rushed inside by their parents. My body feels way too drained to even try to run to my house, which I notice is only a few blocks away from where I currently am. 

I don't make an effort to move forward, not even an inch. Unplugging my ear buds I listened to the sound of the rain hitting the ground. The scent of the upcoming storm and how I feel like my problems drift away when the cold water touches my skin. 

The street is deserted and when I check, there is no one outside. I slowly lay down on the cement floor and look up, shutting my hazel eyes closed, letting the rain tell me stories. I have explored the wonders of such a magnificent natural process before, but there's something different about it this time. 

At first I didn't notice the quick tears that were spilling from my eyes. The only thing I felt were the raindrops kissing my skin and the feeling of it being absolutely exquisite and for once, in a very long time, I felt at ease. The peaceful atmosphere sucks me in and I let it.

I no longer care about Finn and his rude, mocking attitude towards me. I forget about those past events that caused a bump to form in my life. I just let it all out. I sob and it is muffled by the sound of the pouring rain.

Racking tremors go down my arms and my breathing becomes erratic all at once. When this happens, my parents advised to calm myself down and focus on something else. I can't bring myself to do that right now. Vulnerability is one of those traits I hate the most about me. I'm so confused now because I let it take over, when it never has.

I lose the sense of time and all of sudden I'm snapped into reality when the sound of moving tires approaches my lifeless body. "Gabriella?" a distant voice shouts. I don't make an attempt to move. Whoever that is can just mind their own business and let me be. "Gabbie!" the voice screams loud enough for the hairs on my skin to stand upright despite them being overly wet.

My tears have already stopped, but I have no doubt that I look like hell. The clouds drift away and more drops fall, harder than they previously were. 

Hands touch my freezing skin and I jump at the contact. When my eyes snap open the grey sky is replaced with warm blue waves. I scan the features of a manly face, before I settle on a deep frown forming at this person's lips. "Gabriella, what the fuck are you doing out here?" he says and I want him to let go of me. I fight my hardest to push him as far away as possible, but I'm way too weak. 

"G- go a- away!" I bite back a sob. "L- leave m- me alone F- Finn!" 

He totally ignores my requests and softly pushes me to my feet like I'm a porcelain doll he is afraid of breaking. Anger blurs my vision and my body takes over. I run as fast as my legs allow me to. I push my body to it's limit. "Fuck." Finn shouts and his car moves again. 

My wet hair slaps my cheeks and my sneakers make a very squeaky sound against the ground.

"Gabriella!" he yells at me from his open window. "Stop run- Oh my god!."

And then it all goes black.

A/N: I'm sorry if this is a bit too emotional to read. I just love rain and wanted to write about it.

Stay tuned for the next chapter. xx

-V