Chapter 8: Science fair disaster

I shift and turn on my bed. 

What the hell is that?

The annoying sound continues to take over my senses and I pull the covers away from my body. I take a quick glance at my phone and debate on wether turning the alarm off or smashing my phone against my bedroom window. I decide against the later one, because that would mean I would be left without a phone. 

My mood is slightly better than last week, even though I only managed to catch some hours of sleep. Blame Netflix on that. 

"Gabriella! Turn that phone off!" my mom shouts and I notice that my alarm was still ringing. I quickly turn it off before she barges into my room and physically pulls me out of bed.

I sit on my bed and sigh. The cold weather hasn't gotten any better, but I'm lucky Addison won't come into my house unannounced, which means I can wear whatever I please and she won't be here to tell me otherwise.

After quickly taking a shower and pulling my hair to a loose ponytail I stand inside my closet, wrapped in a towel, scanning my clothes. My eyes land on a pair of sweatpants. I put those on and decide on an oversized black hoodie. 

Perfect.

I glance at the time and sprint to the kitchen. My mom greets me with a smile, a sandwich and a cup of coffee. I love her... only sometimes.

Don't get me wrong, she is a wonderful mother, but maybe... just maybe.. a little too exaggerated. 

Honking makes me squeal and I say goodbye to my mom before it gets even worse. When I look into Addison's car Ben is on the front seat, with a huge smirk. "It's not nice is it?" he mocks and I shut him up by giving him the finger. 

"Oh god." Addi gasps and I prepare myself for her outburst. "What on earth are you wearing? I thought we had an agreement. It's the end of senior year and you are walking down the hallways looking like a homeless, 30-year old virgin." she barks and I roll my eyes. She opens and closes her mouth like a gold fish. 

"Go on." I encourage her, knowing there is more she wants to say. 

"I'm being serious Gabs. I know you don't care and that it might not be important to you, but I want everyone to know how absolutely beautiful you are and I want you to prove all of those sluts wrong." she finishes her speech and I smile at her concern on such a simple, stupid thing.

"Are you done?" I ask, my voice full of humor and she groans, speeding away from my driveway. 

Ben rests his hand on her thigh and squeezes. It's too early for me to deal with their public affection. 

***

"As you all know, there is a science fair by the end of the school year. I talked to the principal and he agreed on you guy's request to work in pairs." the biology teacher explains. My classmates hoot and whistle, celebrating about having an excuse to hang out on school days. "But." he cuts them off. "I will be choosing the person you'll have to work with." Everyones happy expressions are turned into disappointment as the teacher grabs his planner and scrabbles quickly. 

Addi, nor Ben are on this class, which means I will be paired with either the nerds or the annoying "elites", as they like to be called.

"Maria Guzman and Blake Smith." the teacher shouts and my classmates anxiously wait, shifting and turning on their lab seats.

"Lindsay Henderson and Lucas Green" 

Oh god, when is my name going to be called?

"Jessica Gabriels and Jonathan Walker" I see the platinum haired girl shoot Jonathan a wink, which he returns with a kiss to the air.

Wait, wasn't she obsessed with Finn? Haha, weird. I guess she is obsessed with every walking man on this damn school.

"Gabriella Robinson and Scott Adams" my name is called and I glance at my partner. His olive skin shines in the room and his hair is a tangled mess of curls. He shoots an innocent smile in my direction, but it doesn't fool me. I know he is a part of Finn's clique and is probably just like him.

The teacher calls out the rest of the names and we all walk to our respective stations to discuss on our science fair project. I tried to distract myself by saying chemistry jokes on my head, but there was absolutely no reaction.

See what I did there? 

"I'd like to switch partners." A deep voice chants from the back of the class and the teacher asks him to approach his desk. I see them talk for a while and I decide to focus my gaze on Scott, my partner. He is scrolling through an instagram's model feed and I clear my throat. When he doesn't flinch, I do so again, until he finally retrieves his vision from his phone.

"Oops, sorry." he smiles, again. What is it with this kid and smiling all the time.

"So.. Science fair. What were you thinking?" I ask him and he lists off some ideas, which to my surprise, I find quite enjoyable. 

"Class." our teacher speaks cutting off our discussion. "There has been some slight changes on the partners. Gabriella" he turns to me. "you will be working with Finn" Before I can protest, he raises his finger to silence me.  "And Emma, you will work with Scott." he says. "Now, get to work!"

Scott gathers his books in his hand and leaves to go to Emma's station. I huff and jump in surprise when Finn sits where his friend used to be. "Missed me?" he asked with a grin and I ignored his presence. 

"Why would you do that?" I question with anger boiling inside of me. This guy never seems to give up. He bombarded me with so many texts on the weekend I had to block his number.

"Because." he simply states and smirks. 

"I'm requesting a change." I say determined to not let him win

He grabs my arm and turns me so I'm facing him. "I told Mr.Williams you had social anxiety and that I could help you." he says, his smirk growing with amusement while my jaw drops.

"But... I've been his student for half a year!" I protest, unable to wrap my head around the fact that he believed every bit of bullshit Finn said to him. "You are unbelievable." I growl and the scowl on my face deepens.

"Stop complaining. We have work to do." he says and I stand from my seat.

"I refuse to work with you, asshole." I bark and excuse myself to hide in the bathroom. Feeling embarrassed that my teacher now thinks I'm socially awkward and I'm pissed off, incredibly pissed off at Finn, because he is doing this just to get what he wants.

There is no way I'm giving it to him.

A/N: Short charter, I know, but bare with me. Online school is horrendous.

Don' forget to vote & comment.

Love, 

-V