Chapter 1: Detention? On the first day?

Gabriella's POV:

Senior year

As the hot water pulses through my body I feel my tight muscles relax. Although I hate showering in the morning when I know it's freezing outside, it helps me wake up.

I force my eyes shut and enjoy the slow burn that creeps onto my shoulders where the water hits. A loud knock on the door makes me squeal and snap out of my trance. "Gabs, we have to go. Now!" I still can't wrap my head around the fact that Addison is so excited to go back to school. I wish I could stay home and cover myself with my favorite blanket while I watch some Netflix.

The worst part of all is that it's Friday. What kind of dumb assholes decide it's best to start school on a Friday!

"I'm almost done. Could you please hand me the hair dryer?" I ask my best friend while stepping out of the shower, not liking the unwelcoming cold air and dense environment of my small bathroom. Her small hand peeks through the door and I grab the dryer. "Thanks." I start by patting my damp hair with a smaller towel so that it is easier to dry it after. 

As soon as I'm done a joyful Addison comes into view. Her blonde locks are loose on her shoulders. She's wearing a pastel pink sweater and blue jeans. Her smile turns into a frown when she studies my outfit. "Really?" she  questions "It's the first day of school and you're wearing pajamas?" 

It's winter! I don't feel like it is necessary to look cute in this time of the year. My mission is to not freeze to death. "Don't say a word." I snap, but cover my sudden harsh tone by sticking my tongue at her. Addi rolls her eyes but doesn't push the subject any further.

My phone beeps and when I check it's a text from my mom. As I'm typing a reply Addison yanks it from my hand. I open my mouth to speak but she cuts me off. "Change those damn clothes or I'm not giving you your phone back." she demands.

I groan in annoyance as she claps her hands in victory. I go into my closet and change into a baby blue top, covering my bare shoulders with a white cardigan and finishing the outfit with denim jeans. "That I like better." she says in a triumphant tone while I narrow my eyes at the slight smirk on her face.

I close the door to my house and jog down the porch. Goosebumps grow in my arms through the thin material of the cardigan and I have the urge to run back inside and never leave again. You should've sticked to your pajamas. My annoying subconscious adds. 

I shift uncomfortably in the passenger seat of Addison's car and try to turn the heat on. Another groan escapes my lips when it doesn't work "I hate you" I murmur. Her head turns to me and she flips me off. 

Minutes later we arrive at the coffee shop. I open the car door and step outside. "I'll wait here" Addison tells me while tapping quickly on her phone. I shrug and step inside, letting the smell of fresh coffee fill my senses. I rub my hands together and welcome the warmth of the small space.

"Hey Gabs." the workers greet me with huge grins plastered on their faces. How are they so joyful this early in the morning when I look like a walking zombie. 

"Hi" I respond, leaning against the counter waiting for my coffee. I look into the huge mirror and gasp at my reflection. My lips are puffy and chapped, while my ears have a hint of pink at the top. This is why I hate winter so much. My strawberry blonde hair is tied into a bun and I try to fix the stubborn baby hairs falling to my face.

The moment Leona walks towards me with a tall black coffee in her hand my mood completely changes and I forget about my terrible appearance "Thank you Lee." I sigh, grabbing the cup and taking a sip while rumbling a few incoherent words. She giggles knowing how much I enjoy her coffee "You're the best." I say my goodbyes and hop into Addison's car.